Monday, January 28, 2019

Bermuda Marathon Weekend: Bermuda Railway Trail



During our last 3 trips to Bermuda during Bermuda Marathon Weekend, my focus was on running the Half Marathon. I had to ensure that I had plenty of rest and kept a strict pre-race fueling plan. I needed plenty of time to recover after the race. I enjoyed swimming or going to the beach but because of residuals of childhood paralytic polio, I did not have a great reserve of energy to explore the Island.

This year was different! Being a spectator and support crew for Tom left me with plenty of energy and enthusiasm to try a new adventure on the Island.

We got up early on Sunday morning, had our breakfast at Grotto Bay and headed out to explore the Bermuda Railway Trail.

The bellman gave us directions. We relished the idea that we had no idea where we were going or what we would experience along the way. I enjoyed the thrill of going out for a run where I had never been before. Our plan was to do an out and back route for 3.5 miles which is the distance we have been running on Saturdays.

After navigating our way through traffic and roads magnificent scenes and challenging terrain unfolded before us:


Tom wanted to avoid the roads with traffic as much as possible on our return so we went a bit beyond our 3.5 miles.

If you are going to get lost anywhere it may as well be in Bermuda. We turned on Siri and were able to find our way back to the main road having avoided a stretch of road where there were no sidewalks.

I love these new adventures as a runner girl exploring new terrain and experiencing magical and magnificent vistas.

Twelve years ago I contemplated a grim future and a poor prognosis after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome.

I wore a toe up leg brace and used a cane, and at times used a wheelchair for mobility:


I was at a crossroads in my life that led to a new path unfolding before me.



At 65 years old I feel healthier, more vibrant and energetic loving my life in a way I never dreamed was possible!

I am blessed by the miracle of healing I co-created in my life with the Divine no longer hindered by my past.

I appreciate every step that I am able to take, and the freedom and trust I now have in my body's capacity to experience new challenges and adventures. After all, life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.


Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


***Coming Soon - The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953***

“The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance tapping into the powerful connection she experienced to the Divine from an early age. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running. Her story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog, discovering the meaning of different ability and experiencing the stunning view from the back of the pack of a race. You will have the privilege of bearing witness to how Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her. The sport of running provides the backdrop for her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary that tested her mettle while forging friendships to last a lifetime. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life.



No comments:

Post a Comment