Friday, February 8, 2019

A Most Unlikely Runner



Dave McGillivray, wrote my first book review for the soon to be released, "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":
A most unlikely runner stood to my right as I gave the oral command for the mobility impaired start of the 113th Boston Marathon on April 20, 2009. That most unlikely runner was Mary McManus. She overcame the childhood challenges of paralytic polio and years of childhood trauma to become a runner at the age of 53 years old and take on the challenge of the Boston Marathon at 55 years old. In “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” you’ll be inspired as I have been by her courage, resilience and determination to overcome whatever obstacles life put in her path. Mary’s life story set against the backdrop of running in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” will leave you asking the question, “If Mary was able to accomplish all that in the face of seemingly overwhelming odds, what’s stopping me from being the best I can be?”

Dave McGillivray

Race Director – B.A.A. Boston Marathon


I am deeply humbled, honored and grateful by his words.

Time stood still when I stood at the starting line of the 2009 Boston Marathon. My nickname in gym class throughout elementary school and high school was "Easy Out Alper." Alper was my maiden name.

I had an earth angel, Joe Stetz, who planted the seeds of possibility for me to go beyond the physical limitations of paralytic polio and to know I was so much more than the twisted projections from my parents suffering from addiction.



From the soon to be released "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":

The end of camp Olympics are still the highlight of the summer for the campers. The first year I attended Badger I was happy to sit on the sidelines. I was learning how to swim and build strength in muscles severely compromised by polio. The counselors found ways to support me and help me feel included in all activities even though I had many physical challenges. I excelled in Archery and Riflery and easily racked up medals for my achievements. Counselors encouraged me to try new activities like the trampoline. With their physical and emotional support, I took risks in the safe and supportive environment of camp. As time approached to sign up for the end of summer Olympics at the end of my second year at Badger, Joseph J. Stetz, Jr. approached me about racing in the butterfly competition. He knew of my history of polio. I thought he was crazy to suggest such a thing to me. The butterfly? The most difficult stroke? I couldn’t even jump off the racing block or do a turn. There were only two other campers in my division taking on the challenge of the butterfly. I was guaranteed a place on the podium. Joe would not take no for an answer and I couldn’t say no to this 6’2” brown eyed god as seen through the eyes of a 10 year old. Yet I was also terrified to say yes.

“We are going to work on everything you need to get ready for race day. I’ll work with you one on one.”

His strong presence, patience and the confidence he had in my ability to compete and finish the race were a God send to my life. His individual attention and encouragement were a healing balm for the violence I endured every night.

I lived under the threat of “If you tell anyone about this. I will kill you.”

The acceptance by counselors and the Badger community reminded me of who I truly was as a child of God worthy of respect and dignity.

Badger Olympics Day arrived. Joe helped to calm my nerves before the race reminding me of all we worked on together. We both knew I was going to finish the race. I surprised myself when I fearlessly jumped off the starting block feeling a sense of pride that I was racing. Joe told me to not look to my left or to my right but to focus on swimming my own race. I struggled through that final lap but I did it! Joe extended a hand and helped me get out of the pool. He gently put his arm around me as he led me to the medal stand. I proudly took my place on the medal stand clutching and cherishing my bronze plaque signifying my third place finish. There was no time on the plaque nor did the plaque state there were only three people competing in the race. I finished and I finished in third place.

Joe gave me his address accompanied with a warm hug on the last day of Camp. He encouraged me to stay in touch with him. I wrote to him about the medical challenges I experienced and he wrote back beautiful letters of support. He attended Downstate Medical College. We lost contact through the years. One day in December 2004, I was stunned to see his obituary in the Boston Globe. I worked as a psychiatric social worker at St. Elizabeth's Hospital where he was on staff as a cardiothoracic surgeon. He died at the age of 62 in a single car accident a few months after he retired. Joseph was only 21 years old when I met him but he was a soul far wiser than his years. His legacy of love, compassion and caring lives on in all whose lives he touched.


The seeds of possibility he planted when I was only 11 years old took root and blossomed on April 20, 2009. I ran 26.2 miles from Hopkinton to Boston. I became the champion of my own life.



I have been blessed to become a part of this running community where even unlikely runners like myself have the opportunity to test our mettle, inspire others to run their lives with passion, purpose, courage and determination, and to experience the adventures of a lifetime!

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.


Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


***Coming Soon - The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953***



“The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance tapping into the powerful connection she experienced to the Divine from an early age. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running. Her story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog, discovering the meaning of different ability and experiencing the stunning view from the back of the pack of a race. You will have the privilege of bearing witness to how Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her. The sport of running provides the backdrop for her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary that tested her mettle while forging friendships to last a lifetime. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment