Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Gratitude and the Gift of Polio



While I have always had a deep appreciation for life and for all my body is able to do, that awareness and appreciation has been magnified in the wake of an accident that left Kevin LaCoste, friend and Team Big Heart Teammate, with a spinal cord injury.

The members of Team Big Heart and Kevin and Ali's Army of supporters have been dedicating our runs, walks and workouts to him to lend our strength, our prayers, our Love and to set the intention for the day when he will be joining us all again on the roads.

Yesterday morning's run gave us the gift of witnessing the sun breaking through the clouds and sending angel slides over Boston:


I end my Facebook posts dedicating our runs to #lacostestrong with "Every step is a gift. Every mile is a blessing."



After yesterday's run, I remembered one of the first poems I wrote after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome called, "The Gift of Polio":

The Gift of Polio from "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life"
Thank you God for the gift of polio that brought me so close to you
while paralyzed I saw your face no matter what I’d do
Many wonderful healers you sent them to me at age 5
perseverance and triumph life’s lessons learned
but my Spirit could not yet thrive.

At age 53 the gift was sent to me a second time
having time to sit and feel to heal I started to rhyme.
The second time felt worse than the first
yet your love and wisdom I found
out of pain and weakness and fatigue a remarkable spirit rebound.

Reliving all the trauma of special shoes and such
I discovered remarkable healers who brought a loving touch.
I had no clue I had such strength and the ability to grow
no matter what the outcome deep gratitude I show.

This gift so precious I live a new life gratitude flows from me
my heart and soul are filled with grace each day’s a gift from thee.


I learned about the importance of gratitude from the works of Bernie Siegel, MD,, and the "new age" thinkers who drew from the wisdom of the ages.

Shortly after the diagnosis of a progressive neuromuscular disease as a result of childhood trauma and paralytic polio, I felt outraged, scared, overwhelmed, depressed and anxious. Once I got still and asked for Divine Guidance, the path opened before me for healing, hope and possibility. My pen became my divining rod for healing and poetry poured out of my soul inspiring mind, body and soul to heal!

I am humbled, blessed and grateful that I am able to share this journey from a wheelchair, leg brace, cane and the prognosis of a grim future to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond!



To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and "Feel the Heal" and "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" are available in Natick Center Cultural District at Paula Romero Dunbar's Celebration Boutique Paper Fiesta coincidentally located on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon Route.






No comments:

Post a Comment