Saturday, September 14, 2019

My Morning Run and The Elements of Healing



The time when I don't feel like getting out of bed to go on a morning run or get in my workout is the very time I know I need it the most. Advocating for Ruth Anne and helping her to navigate an unwieldy and at times incompetent medical and behavioral health system is exhausting. We have dear friends whose daughter is recovering from PANS and another friend who is recovering from a traumatic spinal cord injury after a fall this past July. Sometimes, these conditions seem overwhelming and it becomes difficult to experience light and love, healing, hope and possibilities when one is immersed in the daily grind of symptoms and therapies.

BUT the Universe is vast with potential and possibilities greater than what our minds can comprehend. Twelve years ago, despite writing a poem about "Running the Race" I couldn't know with certainty that one day I would train for and cross the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon. I'd been diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease and told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, possibly needing a feeding tube, a sleep apnea machine and that I was destined for a rapid decline in functioning at the age of 53 years old.

When I was at a crossroads in my life, I got still and asked for Divine Guidance. When we go out on our morning runs, Tom and I get still tuning into the power of the elements: earth, air, water and fire (the sun) created by the Divine. Some mornings, we allow the still water to invite our minds to be calm and gain clarity on the experience we are going through with Ruth Anne. I use the hashtag #everystepisagift #everymileisablessing because I remember the days when I did not have the strength to walk upon the earth. I allow the earth to ground me and draw from its healing power to surround all those in need of healing.

One of the symptoms of PPS was difficulty taking a deep breath. I breathe in the morning air with gratitude and express gratitude to the Universe for all that I am able to do now.

The water brings such a delicious sense of calm whether it is in the stillness or the rhythm of the lapping of the waves. The wildlife that inhabits the Reservoir brings a sense of delight and play to our runs.

Whether the sun is shining or not shining, we know it is there. As the days get shorter with the change of seasons, we notice the change in how the light presents itself in the early morning hours and feast on nature's awesome ways.

We tap into the elements of healing and send out their healing power to our dear daughter, our friends close to our hearts and to anyone in the Universe in need of healing.

I am so blessed and grateful for our morning runs and to live in such close proximity to a sanctuary that offers all of the elements of healing.



Please be sure to register for the 6th Annual Middlemiss Big Heart 5K happening on 9/28. You can run a virtual race or have an incredibly family fun day for a great cause. Race beneficiaries are Ali and Kevin LaCoste.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and "Feel the Heal" and "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" are available in Natick Center Cultural District at Paula Romero Dunbar's Celebration Boutique Paper Fiesta coincidentally located on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon Route.

No comments:

Post a Comment