Thursday, September 26, 2019

The Art of Being Present: On Rest and Idleness



The Art of Being Present from Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life:

Each moment is a blank canvas
smudges and splotches only in mind's eye
raindrops from the heart
wash away the past.
Each moment is an opportunity
overflowing with possibility.

How shall I paint this moment?

My portrait once a still life
now
in stillness
life force leaps

dancer
lover of life
a geyser of joy
a river of happiness
gratitude flows
fragrant flowers sweetness
strong roots
lit with softness of sun's tender embrace
back from the edge
the ledge between life and death
creating the masterpiece of my life
one breath at a time.


I usually blog about exercise, running, races and my health and wellness journey. It's rare for me to write about rest and recovery yet those days are a vital part of a health and fitness regimen. I take Thursdays and Fridays as rest and recovery days. On Thursdays I see my chiropractor, Dr. Lizzie Sobel. Fridays I am mindful about taking it as a total rest and recovery day doing light housework, stretching and grocery shopping but no strength training or cardio workouts.

I had not had a rest day on Friday the week before last. I had to take our daughter to a doctor's appointment and joyfully accompanied a friend to the Abilities Expo. I realized that, with the upcoming 6th Annual Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart 5K, I needed an extra rest day. After a spectacular training run on Saturday, we headed to our happy place Falmouth on Olde Cape Cod.

We got up early, had breakfast at one of our favorite haunts and headed to the beach. I was mesmerized by the waves lapping along the shore and felt amazingly content to just sit and be:



Tom took time to read and coincidentally found a passage about Idleness while we were sitting on the beach from the book, 'Deep Work.'



"Idleness is not just a vacation, an indulgence or a vice; it is as indispensable to the brain as Vitamin D is to the body, and deprived of it we suffer a mental affliction as disfiguring as rickets...it is paradoxically, necessary to getting any work done."


As in life and when training, idleness and rest are vital to being able to function at an optimal level.

One of the factors that contributed to my burnout as a social worker and led to the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, was that I did not allow time for rest and idleness. I was in a constant state of adrenal overload and I know I am not alone in this.

Writing poetry allowed me time and space to be in the present moment creating a life very different from my past and a future very different from the one the doctors predicted for me. I'd lose all track of time and through the power of my imagination, inspired healing mind, body and soul. So while some may say that idle hands are the devil's playmate, there are times when we need to be idle, rest and recharge and embrace the gift of the present moment.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and "Feel the Heal" and "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" are available in Natick Center Cultural District at Paula Romero Dunbar's Celebration Boutique Paper Fiesta coincidentally located on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon Route.

No comments:

Post a Comment