Friday, January 24, 2020

Fearless Friday

I have collected a number of quotes about fear that inspire me as a runnergirl living with a neuromuscular condition as a result of having contracted paralytic polio as a child and endured years of abuse at the hands of family members:





It would have been so easy to get caught in the grips of fear after having been told I should prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair having been given the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome in December of 2006. At first I was afraid, then angry and then got still and asked for Divine Guidance.

The answer to my prayers came in the form of a poem, "Running the Race". Many poems poured out of me inspiring mind, body and soul to heal through the power of visualization harnessing the power of the mind/body connection. I imagined myself running free, breaking the shackles of my past to create a future very different than the ones the doctors predicted for me. Of course medical professionals mean no harm but often times they instill fear leaving little room for possibilities and the reality that the body has a tremendous innate capacity to heal.

I remember the day like it was yesterday when I declared I was going to run the 2009 Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab Hospital where I took those first tentative steps on my healing journey.

From "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":
Shortly after being discharged from outpatient physical therapy I met Janine Hightower through Herb Simmons. He knew Janine through his participation in the Cardiac Rehab program at Boston Medical Center. I was launching my business New World Greeting Cards, original poetry for every occasion. She was a member of BNI, a professional networking group. As we sat in my living room, she talked about BNI and the benefits of being a member of this networking group. As she talked, I wasn’t focused on growing my business. My mind zeroed in on her sharing with us how she used BNI to promote her in home personal training business.

“You know I’m curious,” I said to Janine. “Do you think you could help me? I was just discharged from Spaulding Rehab.”

I went on to tell her about my journey.

“I don’t know,” she said “but I’d certainly be happy to set up an assessment with you.”

I couldn’t even pass the initial fitness assessment.

“You’re way too young to not be able to get off of the toilet seat without holding on to the sink or to not be able to get off of the couch,” she said to me.

It was a statement of fact without judgment. She spoke the truth about my deconditioned physical state. I signed on to work with her once a week in personal training. I had no idea what or why I was doing this. I did know that if I was going to be in pain, I’d prefer to feel the pain of recovery instead of the pain of decline. Janine held enough faith for both of us that I could come out of my leg brace and have a good quality of life despite the diagnosis and prognosis I received.

Janine’s mantra for our work together was a quote from Henry Ford, “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right!”

At my six-month evaluation in February, I made dramatic improvements in every area of the assessment. I had come out of my leg brace. I knew I was on a healing path.

“Let’s write down your goals for the next six months,” Janine said feeling proud and satisfied with my progress.

“Well I want to feel free in my body. I want to dance. I want to be able to walk outside and feel unencumbered when I take a walk.”

Janine feverishly wrote down my goals, and we worked out a plan. She gathered up her belongings and had her hand on the door knob.

“Wait. I have one more goal.”

Janine stopped and turned around.

“I want to run the Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab Hospital. I know they have a Race for Rehab team and I want to do it next year.”

Did you ever have one of those moments when words fell out of your mouth after rising up from the depths of your soul without going through any thought process?

Janine was non-plussed. I don’t know what kept her from turning tail and getting as far away from me as she could. She came back into my house, set down her things and without missing a beat said, “Well the first thing you are going to need is a pair of running shoes.”

She laid out a cursory training plan and said that we would begin indoors to build up my cardio endurance. As soon as the weather got a little warmer, we’d go outdoors and I would learn how to run.

What had I just done?


I had signed on to do something that scared me yet I knew that I was destined to run the 2009 Boston Marathon.

After crossing the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon, I had to take time off from running but by June of 2010 I was back on the roads. I continued to challenge myself with time and distance. Despite a serious knee injury in December of 2014, and the admonition of my doctor and physical therapists, I refused to stop and give into fear that my body would decline because I was a survivor of paralytic polio. I rejected the belief that I would need a total knee replacement in a few years and declined to return to the Post Polio Clinic for a reevaluation. I know the physiatrist meant well but I chose love over fear and adventure over "playing it safe."

After rehabbing my knee with a healer/chiropractor and intensifying my efforts to heal my life with visualization, meditation, a revamped strength training program and a fiery determination to go the distance again, I trained for an ran 3 consecutive Half Marathons in Bermuda in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

I continue to run and my goal for this year is to work my way back to the 10K distance while also working on pace at shorter distances.

I trust in my body's capacity to continue to heal and bring me joy in this incredible journey.

I wish all of you a fearless Friday and a way of life that chooses love over fear, adventure over "security" and "playing it safe", and doing the thing that you think you cannot do!

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Be inspired by my interview with Kendra Petrone on the award winning Exceptional Women Show by following this link

To experience an epic race weekend and hear me share my journey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond come to the Hyannis Marathon Weekend February 21-23 2020.


No comments:

Post a Comment