Monday, January 13, 2020

My New Word for 2020: Expansion



My original word choice for 2020 was Simplicity. After going through a period of decluttering and simplifying my life, that word just didn't seem to fit a new year and a new decade.

Childhood trauma and paralytic polio left me in a state of contraction in my body. I lived in a state of flight or fright decades after the danger ended.

In December of 2006, life as I had known it came to a screeching halt with the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, deemed by Western Medicine to be a progressive neuromuscular disease. I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair; that if I used my muscles, I would lose more function. Since then, there has been an insurgence of science to refute that notion and replace it with the power of the mind/body connection and neuroplasticity expanding the possibilities for healing.

Fortunately, I refused to take the diagnosis sitting down.

I could have easily given into the diagnosis and gone into a state of contraction and fear but instead tapped into the power of the Divine as I had done since I was 5 years old.

My heart opened and I discovered the gift of poetry in my soul and its tremendous power to heal through visualization; leaving the pain of the past behind and opening my mind to create a future very different than the one the doctors said I would experience.

That first poem I wrote, "Running the Race" foreshadowed my 2009 Boston Marathon run. I went on to experience many wonderful adventures in the sport I fell in love with at the age of 53.

On January 12, 2015, after a serious knee injury in December, the MRI results were in that showed a lateral meniscal tear, effusion and degenerative arthritis, bone spurs, changes from previous surgeries and on and on the report went.

I returned to the physiatrist I had seen at the Post Polio Clinic as he was the easiest accessible doctor for me at the time. Dr. Rosenberg went on to say no running or cap my distance at a 5K and prepare for a total knee replacement in a few years. He also urged me to return to the Post Polio Clinic because it was only a matter of time before the condition progressed.

I could have once again gone into a contracted state of caution and fear which I did for about a New York Minute before I realized I had not gone that far to only come that far.

I took a referral to a physical therapist who turned out to be dreadful and was a sign from the Universe that I needed to expand my options for care.

The Universe delivered with a healer/chiropractor and wonderful healing resourcesto heal the knee injury, grow a new gastroc muscle and set new, expansive goals for myself.

One year later on January 17, 2016, I crossed the finish line of the 2016 Bermuda Half Marathon:


and in February ran the 10K at Hyannis Marathon Weekend.


I went on to run the 2017 and 2018 Bermuda Half Marathons.

This year, I started increasing mileage again after vowing I'd cap my distance at a 5K and running on Heartbreak Hill.

I am expanding my running goal to work up to the 10K distance again.

My passion and purpose is to share my incredible journey of healing, hope and possibilities. I am reaching out and expanding opportunities for speaking engagements and radio show appearances.

I am more diligent with my gratitude journal expanding my heart and my vision for the blessings in my life.

During my meditations, I focus on expansion seeing my life with infinite possibilities despite being 66 years old.

Do you have a word for 2020? If so I'd love to hear from you.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Be inspired by my interview with Kendra Petrone on the award winning Exceptional Women Show by following this link

To experience an epic race weekend and hear me share my journey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond come to the Hyannis Marathon Weekend February 21-23 2020.




No comments:

Post a Comment