Sunday, December 22, 2019

Camp Hyannis 2020 - A Look Back and a Look Ahead



The Hyannis Marathon Weekend was named Camp Hyannis in 2011. I ran my first Half Marathon during Hyannis Marathon Weekend in 2009 on the road to the Boston Marathon. Paul Collyer, aka Paulie, warmly welcomed me to his race. It was my first of many many adventures during his race weekend where I met and was embraced by Frank Shorter and Bill Rodgers.


I earned my first medal during that cold February day that ended with sleet and freezing rain.



From "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":

On Friday, as I was packing to go to Hyannis Marathon Weekend, I felt the presence of Joe Stetz



and of all those wonderful memories of Badger Day Camp. We get to see old friends who we only see once a year at Hyannis i.e. returning campers, meet up with friends who are going for the first time, and make new friends. I felt Joe's presence as I was going into the weekend and knew he was going to be with me when I ran the race. Why was I so anxious about Hyannis? It's in the middle of a New England winter. While nobody likes to run in the cold, it is a particular challenge for me. This winter has been grueling but I knew I had done everything I could to train for the race. Deborah and I were running together again. She invited one of her friends to join the Sparkling Divas. I was anxious running with someone who I would meet for the first time at the starting line.

After checking into our room, we unpacked and laid out everything we would need for race day. It was time to head out to the Expo. Frank Shorter and Bill Rodgers would not be returning campers ahem speakers this year. We reunited with Dick Hoyt and Kathy Boyer of Team Hoyt. Dick recently had knee surgery and would not be running. I felt nostalgic about our reunion with Dick and purchased an autographed copy of his book, “Devoted”. The guest speakers for the pre-race pasta dinner were Jack Fultz, 1976 Boston Marathon winner in the “run for the hoses” race, and Jimmy Garcia, an ultra marathoner and winner of the 2003 Hyannis Marathon. We waited in line for an autographed poster of Jack Fultz. I shared my inspirational journey with him. Running greats resonate to the joy of the challenges I have overcome.

I texted Sparkling Diva Deborah. We met up at the Expo psyching ourselves up for the next day's run.

Campers arrived with coolers and running clothes in tow. The energy was electric.

We bumped into returning campers exchanging hugs with “How was your year?”

Tom and I went for a swim to stay loose. We showered, changed and headed to the mess hall - I mean ballroom for the pre-race pasta dinner. Here's where the camp theme really kicks into high gear. The food is lousy but you don't care. It's overcooked pasta, wilted salad from marinating in salad dressing for too long and focaccia bread. Instead of singing 99 bottles of beer on the wall, there are 99 bottles of beer (or more) stocked in the bar which runners imbibe to add to the carbo loading. We sat with Mike with whom we have shared previous years' pre-race pasta dinners getting caught up on each other's lives. We shared photos in our phones of the family and were joined by two new campers who were friends of Mike. I called fellow camper Ric to see where he was and he was on his way with a host of campers old and new. He asked if I would save him a table - honest to God - just like we used to do at camp only we'd throw a sweatshirt or use our hand to save a seat for our fellow camper. I turned the chairs in at the banquet table for them to reserve their seats.

I met Jimmy Garcia and viewed all of his belt buckle bling from his ultramarathon runs. We hung out for awhile before saying good night knowing tomorrow was race day. Ric introduced me to Mark and Laura. Laura is a Boston Children’s Hospital miracle treated for scoliosis. Tom was running the 2011 Boston Marathon to raise money for Children’s Hospital. She may have two rods in her back, but she is going to run her first Marathon in May. We inspired each other with our running journeys.

I had the usual pre-race anxiety dreams including one in which my alarm didn't go off. I awoke before the alarm and slowly stretched and calmed my nerves. We awoke to snow; about 2 inches on the golf course outside of our window and flakes steadily coming down. We brought our pre-race breakfast adding to it from the Starbucks in the lobby.

No matter what I was going to run this race today. I calmed the butterflies in my stomach by listening to my iPod running playlist, meditating on the falling snow, recalling the words of Joe Stetz and drinking in all of the love and prayers from Twitter and Facebook that had been sent to me.




I've been blessed to share my journey and sell my books at Paulie's Expo:


and had an epic comeback in February of 2016 meeting up with many friends during Race Weekend:


and making new friends like Jacqueline Hansen, pioneer in women's endurance running, who was enthralled with my journey and wrote the Foreword to my book, "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance."

Fast forward to bib pick up for the 2019 Bill Rodgers Somerville Jingle Bell 5K Walk and Run. I had suggested to Paulie that I be one of his special guests at the 2020 Hyannis Marathon Weekend. He was delighted! We hadn't seen each other in awhile and it was great to be reunited with Paulie and Bill. Paulie captured this photo of us holding each other's books!

auto

We bought this memorabilia autographed by Bill:


"You conquered the Boston Marathon hills for Spaulding" "You are the ultimate comeback! Let's run forever!"

I gave Paulie an autographed copy of "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" and he asked me to also have Billy sign it. He later posted on Facebook:

Am overwhelmed to find myself have a wee bit part in this wonderful book written by Mary McManus.....


He shared the book cover, the dedication, and my recap of that first Hyannis Marathon Weekend in 2009:



We are so excited for Camp Hyannis 2020.

I've heard from friends who are going to be a part of the weekend including the Mystics who I "just happened" to meet in 2016:

“It’s a sign!” a group of runners exclaimed as they walked by my table at the Hyannis Race Expo.

They picked up my medal from the Bermuda Half Marathon.

“We were just talking about how we have to run Bermuda. We are putting it on our bucket list.”

The Mystic Runners from Wakefield, Massachusetts were deeply moved by my inspirational journey. In that moment of synchronicity, we became fast friends.


Tom and Ruth Anne will run the 10K and it will be Ruth Anne's comeback race at that distance since she ran the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon.

Hyannis Marathon Weekend affectionately known as Camp Hyannis holds many fond memories for Team McManus.

We look forward to making wonderful memories to cherish at Camp Hyannis 2020.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

To learn more about my journey from a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma to the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond, visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Looking for great gift ideas? Give the gift of inspiration with my books available on Amazon....

and/or the gift of healing choosing from suggestions on my website's "Healing Resources" page.

Be sure to listen to my interview with Kendra Petrone on the Award Winning Exceptional Women Show by following this link



No comments:

Post a Comment