Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Hills, Thrills and Christmas Spirit in the Air



Winter running can be challenging in New England especially when we have snow/ice/thawing/snow/ice cycles of weather. Unless it is bitter bitter cold or the roads are too icy for safe running, we head outside to get our run on.

Saturday we did a Winter Solstice 5K in our neighborhood. After feeling frustrated by where we could safely run, I was inspired to suggest a neighborhood run and to focus on the holiday decorations that we usually don't take the time to enjoy as we drive by quickly in our car.

As we ran by the hill we trained on for the Boston Marathon 2009, we reminisced about doing hill repeats with our personal trainer. Ruth Anne suggested we tackle the hill for old times sake...and we did ... twice!

Our cheeks were nice and rosy and we savored the experience of our neighborhood run reminiscing all the way.


We took our selfie at the base of the hill:


Yesterday we headed to Heartbreak Hill where Tom and Ruth Anne are starting their training for the Hyannis Marathon Weekend 10K and I'm rocking my 5K distance.

As they took off for their 5 mile run, I embraced the warm sun and the cool air giving thanks for every step I am able to take. It's hard to believe that 13 years ago I was given the diagnosis of a progressive neuromuscular disease and told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

I have run the 2009 Boston Marathon, many 5 and 10K's and several half marathons. I am content with a 5K distance for now.

As part of me wished that I could keep pace with Ruth Anne and Tom....that's only human, the Divine sent me signs.

Tom had locked himself out of his iPhone so I was responsible for taking the photos on this run.

I love how the sun shines through the trees on Heartbreak Hill in winter.

I captured the shape of a dove through the trees and this amazing orb:


Shortly after capturing these photos, I was heading back to the car, I stopped for water. My gaze was drawn upward where I saw this angel:


It dissipated by the end of my water break!

In the distance I heard carolers. They were standing in front of a beautiful home on the other side of Comm Ave. After they finished I stopped and clapped for them.

They came off the steps of the house standing in formation singing an amazing rendition of Jingle Bells. After finishing their song they shouted out Happy Holidays and waved.

I was brought to hears and clapped for them letting them know they made my day! They went on to the next house to bring Christmas joy as I realized all I experience when I run at my pace.

I finished my run, stretched, hydrated and waited for the return of Tom and Ruth Anne feeling that delicious feeling that one feels after a great run.

We took our selfie:


heading home sweaty with full hearts and tired muscles.

Yesterday was my last run as a 65 year old.

Tomorrow I will head out for my 66 minute birthday run...

It's been a year filled with challenges, pain and suffering until August when we were finally able to get a diagnosis for Ruth Anne along with proper treatment for an auto immune condition that caused brain inflammation with its concomitant challenges.

As they say in Sweet Charity, it's not where you start, it's where you finish!

I ended my 65th year with hills, thrills and feeling Christmas Spirit in the air ready to embrace a new year of living, loving and sharing my inspirational journey!

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Be inspired by my interview with Kendra Petrone on the award winning Exceptional Women Show by following this link

To experience an epic race weekend and hear me share my journey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond come to the Hyannis Marathon Weekend February 21-23 2020.



No comments:

Post a Comment