Thursday, June 27, 2019

Countdown to Finish at the 50: On Serendipity, Sixty Six Dollars and Six(th) Cents



One week from yesterday, Tom and I will be gathering with other members of Team Big Heart to run Harvard Pilgrim's Finish at the 50 5K. Ten years ago we ran the Inaugural 10K. Four years ago we ran my comeback race after I was told that a serious left knee injury would sideline me and I should prepare for a total knee replacement in a few years. Instead, I met the Race Director of Bermuda Marathon Weekend and fulfilled a bucket list item of running the Bermuda Half Marathon in 2016, 2017 and 2018! It was a turning point in my quest to heal my life from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. It was a magical and mystical day in so many ways as you can read about in my race report.

At the starting line of the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon, we met Brad and Linda Gilbreth, Team Captains for Team Big Heart! While we had known about The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation, it wasn't until we met Brad and Linda that we became more involved with The Foundation.





Tom was selected along with 13 other runners (including Brad and Linda) to run the Falmouth Road Race and raise money for the Foundation. With the love and support of our village we reached our goal of $1000 and then set a new goal of $1500. We put the fun into fundraising and did Facebook Live Giveaways. The generosity and kindness of our village and the village surrounding The Middlemiss Family was overwhelming. We were gifted Kindness Rocks for Joey, a $100 gift card to Tresca and an autographed Ray Bourque photo for a Silent Auction. When donors won giveaways of scratch tickets, they asked us to scratch them and donate thebir money back to Tom's fundraising campaign.

Several donors donated more than once.

By June 24th, we found ourselves only $66 away from our goal. Joey was six years old when he earned his angel wings.

Before we went to bed on the 24th, I told Tom that I wanted to see if we could get to his fundraising goal by me asking for donations for my half birthday. Coincidentally, I turn 66 this year!

When we woke up on 6/25th, there was an anonymous donation for .... $66 ... We met our goal and we will surpass it after I donate book proceeds from the sale of my books for July! The JMBHF's mission of kindness is to spread acts of kindness anonymously in Joseph's memory and leave mission cards letting people know about Joseph and The Foundation.

When we were training for the 2009 Boston Marathon, we would find change and even occasional dollar bills that gave us a boost when we seemed to need it the most. I found a Helen Keller quarter stuck upright in a mud filled crack growing wisps of green grass on Heartbreak Hill. I found a pile of change at Cleveland Circle on a window sill of a bank. All of these wonderful stories can be found in my trilogy of transformation books available on Amazon.

During one taper training run we found Six Sense.

On Sunday we went to Walgreens to pick up a few items. As soon as we walked in the store, there was a penny on the rug. I looked a little farther and saw a nickel:


The penny was dated 2015 and the nickel was dated 1989. The week before I had found Five Pennies.

The last time I ran Finish at the 50 was in 2015. That race was a turning point in my healing journey where I defied the prognosis of needing a total knee replacement and told I should stop running or at the very least cap my distance at a 5K. I defied the diagnosis and prognosis of Post Polio Syndrome being a progressive neuromuscular disease as I went on to train for and run 3 consecutive Bermuda Half Marathons in as many years. The penny reminded me of my miracle of healing and the joy I feel as I anticipate running Finish at the 50 next Wednesday.

I began my tenure as a social worker at the Department of Veterans Affairs in December of 1988. I was hired as the Visual Impairment Services Team Coordinator. I rebuilt the program and received an award from the Blinded Veterans Association for all I had done to support the visually impaired veterans and their families. In late 1989, the Chief of Social Work came to my office to tell me that I was being replaced.

I was incredulous and could not understand the why or how especially since I was due to get a significant increase in my pay grade after one year of successful performance at the previous pay grade level.

I was told that despite my remarkable performance, a favor was owed to a male employee (who I subsequently found out was being transferred as a result of sexual harassment claims made against him) who asked to be transferred to Boston!

Despite my shock, anger and bitterness, I picked up the pieces and accepted a reassignment as a medical social worker. We had toddler twins at the time and our family needed the income.



1989 -- a nickel -- five pennies -- reminders of my resilience and how choosing to respond to wrong doing with grace and forgiveness pays off big dividends in the long run. It is where my freedom lies!



Six cents found and a reminder to always trust my sixth sense staying connected to Source.

There are signs all around and I feel the abundant blessings as we count down to Finish at the 50. I embrace all the magic and mysticism that summertime brings and am so excited to gather with Team Big Heart to celebrate freedom and the joy of running.

We always have a choice about how to respond to the circumstances of our lives. Kate and Scott Middlemiss transformed their grief into goodness touching so many lives with the good works of The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation.

I chose to not take the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome sitting down and, throughout my life, chose to rise above the conditions of my life. I have been blessed with my connection to the Divine and the Divine continues to shower grace upon me.

Let freedom ring!

From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and "Feel the Heal" and "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" are available in Natick Center Cultural District at Paula Romero Dunbar's Celebration Boutique Paper Fiesta coincidentally located on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon Route. Proceeds from the sale of books for June and July are being donated to The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation to support Tom's Falmouth Road Race. You can also donate directly by following this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment