Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Never Outrun Your Joy of Running



If you would have told me twelve years ago as I sat in a leg brace having walked away from my award winning career as a VA social worker to heal my life that I would experience the joy of running, I would have told you that's just not possible! I had never run a day in my life and was told I should prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. While I knew that I was finding my way out of the dark night of mind, body and soul, I had no idea of the road(s) that would open before me through the sport of running.

Time and time again, I find myself pushing away the notion that I "have" a progressive neuromuscular disease and focus on the healing, not on the wound.

From "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life":

Focus on the Healing

Focus on the healing not on the wound
at first blush imperceptible changes
like the first peak at the crocus breaking ground
we can only imagine
what flower will emerge after the darkness of winter…

I had a dream last night
terror filled my body in the darkness
my father the intruder
thunder and lightning filled the room
crashing around me

“I never wanted to harm you”

Hyperventilation slows into steady breath
no longer raw and weary from the fight
wounds bound
roots grounded
peace descends
Spirit soars
only the trace of a scar remains
a reminder of the miracle of my life.

The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well. ~Hippocrates


After having run 3 consecutive Bermuda Half Marathons, my body was sore and tired. I had subtle injuries and wasn't able to experience the joy of running, training for a race and digging deep to challenge myself.

After taking time off from endurance running and not signing up for races, I had time to recover and heal. I thought my first race would be Finish at the 50 5K but found myself toeing the starting line of the Becca Pizzi 5K and Kids Fun Run.

It feels wonderful to be pushing my pace and feeling the joy of a great run.

Tom and I are each doing our own training runs so he can prepare for the Falmouth Road Race that he is running to raise money for The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation happening in August. In addition to myself, he has become my greatest competitor seeing how far I can run before he catches up to me while he runs a farther distance at his own pace. We each take photos to capture the sensational sights and sounds of the season on our runs and always meet up for our selfies.

Last Saturday I had a very strong run in South Boston. I drank in the sea air, the sound of the waves lapping against the shore and feeling the absolute sense of unbridled joy, freedom and ease in my body. It was a flat course but it was also the fastest time I had run in a very long time!



It was awesome to wait for Tom to finish his run in the beautiful sunshine hydrating and enjoy my banana until we took our selfie...


We woke up at 5:45 Monday morning to head out on our Reservoir run. After my negative splits and fastest mile in a very long time on Saturday, I was planning to take it easy but once we warmed up and went our separate ways, I felt a lightness and ease and the day invoking me to enjoy a lovely tempo run.



Two weeks from today Team McManus will be running The Finish at the 50 5K. While the ramps at Gillette are always a challenge, and the forecast calls for heat and humidity, I will carry this poem deep within my heart and soul. I wrote it in 2015 after a serious knee injury in December of 2014. The doctor and PT's said that I needed to hang up my running shoes and prepare for a total knee replacement. The Universe and I had other plans as we had after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December of 2006. I will be celebrating the joy of running, knowing I was born to run and celebrating freedom!

From 'Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life':

"Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them." -Marcus Aurelius

Born to Run

Born free
born to run
run free
unencumbered untethered unshackled
pouring energy into my running form
liquid gold once fired in the crucible
now my treasure born of my Spirit molded with alchemy
refining
my precious treasure once buried
the map safely tucked away
X marks the spot
a new starting line.

Poised and ready
to go the distance
all out without hesitation
all is healed at last
my pace swift
Mercury and Hermes pace me on winged feet
I AM
born to run
running free
joyfully crossing the finish line with ease.


From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and "Feel the Heal" and "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" are available in Natick Center Cultural District at Paula Romero Dunbar's Celebration Boutique Paper Fiesta coincidentally located on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon Route. Proceeds from the sale of books for June and July are being donated to The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation to support Tom's Falmouth Road Race. You can also donate directly by following this link.







No comments:

Post a Comment