Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Happy Global Running Day!




What is Global Running Day?

Global Running Day is a worldwide celebration of running that encourages everyone to get moving. It doesn’t matter how fast you run or how far you go—what’s important is that you take part, and how you do it is up to you. Run a lap around your block, take your dog for a long walk, or call your friends for a pick-up game in the park. The important thing is that you have fun being active—and you inspire others to join you.


We were blessed with beautiful weather for Global Running Day.

On June 1, I celebrated the 11th race-iversary of my first road race ever. It was a miracle that I was on the road to reversing the effects of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma. You can see the joy in this photo after running my first 5K ever. The victory was especially sweet since in December of 2006, I was given the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease and told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.


A great running quote from one of my s-heroes Wilma Rudolph, a fellow polio survivor who went on to become an Olympic Gold Medalist despite all the odds:


I struggled and worked so hard with every fiber of my being to train for and cross the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon. Along the way I made incredible friends most notably, I made friends with my body for the first time in my life.





While running does not come easily to me, on most days I feel total joy and freedom when I am out on a run and this morning was a great day to be out running with so many other runners celebrating Global Running Day.



Since Tom is training for The Falmouth Road Race to raise money for The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation, we warm up together, run in opposite directions around the Reservoir and then meet up to finish the run together.

We inspire each other to be our best and have so much fun playing, testing our paces and seeing where we are going to meet up.

I had a strong pace this morning and when Tom didn't see me in sight, texted me to ask me where I was. I kept looking over my shoulder (think Meb in 2014) and discovered I had the lead all to myself!



During my run, as I pushed my pace training for the 50 at the Finish 5K, I could feel different pulling sensations. My right knee was not happy with me. I visualized how my chiropractor would adjust me to ease the tightness and restore balance and ease.

I iced my right knee as I savored my oatmeal, toast, banana, OJ and more water for breakfast raising my glass celebrating another Global Running Day. My body bounces back from the paces I put it through to continue to leave Post Polio Syndrome and trauma in the dust!

Here's to celebrating many more happy and healthy Global Running Days for Team McManus!

From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and at Paper Fiesta in Natick on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon route. Proceeds of book sales for May through July are going to Tom McManus's Falmouth Road Race run for the Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation. You can also make a direct donation by following this link.


No comments:

Post a Comment