Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Camp Hyannis 2020 Part 1 - Over the Bridge



After Ruth Anne had her Occupational Therapy appointment at Spaulding Rehab last Friday, we headed to our happy place, Olde Cape Cod.

There was no traffic and we crossed over the Sagamore Bridge on our way to adventures at Camp Hyannis 2020!



We stopped at the British Beer Company in Hyannis on Main Street for lunch. The fresh crisp air and sunshine were gifts for a late February day in New England. There was no snow on the ground and the forecast was picture perfect for race weekend. Ruth Anne and I had onion soup and salad. Tom went for the BLT.



We went to check into our cabin room for the weekend at the Hyannis Resort and Conference Center. {The back story for Camp Hyannis can be read by following this link}.

Just as we requested, we had a room right off of the lobby which made it easy to load in all that we'd need for my table at the Expo and for Ruth Anne and Tom's race day gear:


On our way to the room, I bumped into Mary Tyler who has been a returning camper runner for years. We briefly caught up with each other. She said she wasn't going to be able to run the 10K on Sunday but her husband Ted would be taking photos. They made their reservation months ago, as we all tend to do for Camp Hyannis Weekend and even though she wasn't going to be able to run, wanted to be a part of the weekend.

We unpacked, meditated and Tom and Ruth Anne went for a walk.

They bumped into Paulie Collyer, Camp Director Race and Event Director for the weekend. He told Tom and Ruth Anne that he was very excited for my speech at the Pre-Race Pasta Dinner.

On our way to dinner, I asked Tom and Ruth Anne if we could please stop by the Ballroom so I could get in the zone for my presentation at the Pre-Race Pasta Dinner. I had been practicing walking up and down the stairs at my house without holding onto the banister since I could not recall seeing a banister next to steps leading to the stage.

Yet lo and behold, there was a set of stairs with banisters on both sides! I walked confidently up the stairs and stood at the podium visualizing the success of my presentation!

We went to the Roadhouse Cafe, our favorite restaurant in Hyannis for dinner. I always order the Cedar Plank Salmon and Tom opted for the Chicken Saltimbocca.



We decided to share dessert because, after all, you only live once and besides we chose a dessert with apples and blueberries in it!

When we got back to camp the hotel, Tom and Ruth Anne had a long awaited air hockey rematch. The last time we were all together in Camp Hyannis was in 2009.

Ruth Anne held her reign as Champion beating Tom 5-2:


Day 1 of Camp Hyannis held such precious moments for Team McManus. Besides meeting up with Mary and feeling the excitement and anticipation of meeting up with friends throughout the weekend, and all the magic that IS Camp Hyannis, Tom, Ruth Anne and I felt incredibly blessed to be together. These past 4 years of navigating Ruth Anne's excruciating journey back to health and wellness have given us a deep appreciation for life and savoring moments making beautiful new memories moving forward.

To be continued....
To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com to learn more about my journey to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond after being told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

My books are available on Amazon






No comments:

Post a Comment