Saturday, February 15, 2020

Where do I begin?



From "Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility":

The buzzing hum from the fluorescent lights echoed the buzzing in my nervous system. I sat waiting for my first appointment at the post polio clinic at the IRCP. My complexion was as white as the paper that covered the exam table. I felt as fragile and vulnerable as that piece of paper that gets ripped off and tossed away after the exam. Every inch of my body hurt. I was exhausted. I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I hadn’t really cared whether or not I woke up in the morning but I had a husband and twins that needed me. Ironically enough I was at the peak of my career as a VA social worker. I couldn’t sleep. I felt depressed. My award-winning career as a social worker at the Department of Veterans Affairs no longer fueled my soul. Somewhere deep inside of me there was a feeling that there had to be a way out of the hell I was living in.

The symptoms began in 1996. I had episodes of feeling fatigue and muscle burning. I was anxious. At times, I noticed that the limp from paralytic polio returned. In 1992, I had reconstructive leg surgery to correct the deformity of my left leg and to avoid a total knee replacement at the young age of 39 years old. Here I was 7 years later feeling as though my body was beginning to deteriorate and my life falling apart.


That was in October of 2006. I knew I was at a crossroads in my life but I had absolutely no idea of the how, what, why, when or where I was to go next.

I was in a state of surrender and trust in something greater than myself. I got still and asked for Divine Guidance. A poem, "Running the Race" flowed out of me and many many more poems which harnessed the power of the mind/body connection to inspire healing.

I imagined a future very different from my past and one that was very different from the one that Western Medicine predicted for me. I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair after being diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome in December of 2006.

I was blessed to be led to an earth angel of a physical therapist at Spaulding Hospital downtown who did not subscribe to the "if you use it, you will lose it" philosopy. She guided me on taking those first very tentative steps back to life and experiencing a new relationship with my body.

By the time I was discharged from her care in May of 2007 after taking a leap of faith to leave my award winning career as a VA social worker, I had a sense of hope, healing and possibility but was still a long way from being able to go about daily activities with ease.

In October of 2007, the Universe sent me another earth angel; this time in the guise of a personal trainer.

She answered my question of whether or not she thought I could get a little stronger with:


After 6 months of working together, I reached my initial health and fitness goals of getting off of the couch and a toilet without assistance and was able to pass the initial assessment.

When Janine asked me about my next health and fitness goals, I answered {From "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953}:

“Well I want to feel free in my body. I want to dance. I want to be able to walk outside and feel unencumbered when I take a walk.”

Janine feverishly wrote down my goals, and we worked out a plan. She gathered up her belongings and had her hand on the door knob.

“Wait. I have one more goal.”

Janine stopped and turned around.

“I want to run the Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab Hospital. I know they have a Race for Rehab team and I want to do it next year.”

Did you ever have one of those moments when words fell out of your mouth after rising up from the depths of your soul without going through any thought process?

Janine was non-plussed. I don’t know what kept her from turning tail and getting as far away from me as she could. She came back into my house, set down her things and without missing a beat said, “Well the first thing you are going to need is a pair of running shoes.”

She laid out a cursory training plan and said that we would begin indoors to build up my cardio endurance. As soon as the weather got a little warmer, we’d go outdoors and I would learn how to run.

What had I just done?


Where DOES one begin a running career at the age of 54 years old having never run a day in my life and living with the late effects of childhood paralytic polio and trauma?

I am reminded of The Sound of Music ... let's start at the very beginning.

And we did...running for one minute and walking for four. My heart rate went up to over 160.

But soon one minute turned into 30 minutes and 30 minutes turned into a 5K, a 5K turned into a 10K and eventually we ran the 2009 Boston Marathon!



From being told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and to a running career that continues today at the age of 66 years old!

It seems as though I never really asked the question where do I begin and how will I get there for I did not even know where there was. I allowed the Universe to lead the dance of healing and recovery from the ravages of paralytic polio and childhood trauma.

I am blessed and grateful that I can share my message of healing, hope and possibility and inspire others to see beyond appearances and to know you are not your diagnosis!

Looking forward to sharing my inspirational journey next weekend, February 22-23 at the 2020 Hyannis Marathon Weekend.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link to learn more about my health and wellness journey. I have a page dedicated to Healing Resources.

To your health and wellness
from my heart to yours
Mary





No comments:

Post a Comment