Friday, February 28, 2020

Camp Hyannis 2020 - Part 4 - Race Day!



I woke up early on Race Day and was treated to another glorious sunrise. The Starbucks in the Lobby of the Hyannis Resort and Conference Center tends to have long lines. I wanted Tom and Ruth Anne to have a little extra time to get ready for their 10K while I purchased our breakfast provisions. We bring our own oatmeal, bowls and spoons and toast bagels.

"Hey you!" I heard someone call out.

"Yes...you!" I turned around as if to say, 'You talkin' to me?'

"You did such a great job on your talk last night!"

"Thank you!" I said. We went on to chat a little bit about different authors he has read that tied in with my journey. An older woman came along and said, "What did I miss?" He shared with her the essence of my talk at the Pre-Race Pasta Dinner.

"It sounds like I really missed something!"

The barista chimed in and said that she was working the dinner as a waitress and kept trying to find ways to hear more of my talk. She said that I gave her goosebumps.

The line grew longer and Tom and Ruth Anne arrived. Tom stood in line to get his coffee and hot water for our oatmeal.

Liz whose mother was a polio survivor whom we met after my talk came over to our table. She was heading out on a run while her husband, Tom, was going to run the marathon. The conversation got around to the fact that they are vegan. I asked if they were able to find any good places to eat.

'We just got in right before you spoke,' she said.

"Oh that's interesting because I spotted Tom in a suit jacket with an open collar and thought perhaps you had just come from work."

"Actually we had just come from Tom's mother's funeral in Connecticut on our way here!"

We collectively gasped. His mom had passed away last week and they knew the funeral would be on Saturday. Liz went on to say that the best way for him to heal would be to run the marathon and be with his community of runners. He joined us for a brief moment before heading out to warm up.

While Tom and Ruth Anne rested in the room, I went back to the Expo where I was able to greet many of my runner friends who drove down for the day.

At 9:15 we headed outside to see the Early Start for the Marathon and for Tom and Ruth Anne to warm up.



It was a very moving early start ceremony for those running the Marathon. Paulie told the runners that the finish line would be open when they came in even though the crowds might be more sparse. Before playing the Star Spangled Banner, he told the runners that he wanted to give them the same race experience as everyone else.

"This is your race and we will be here when you finish!"

The sun shone brightly and the temperatures quickly warmed up. It was a gift for a February day on Cape Cod:


A photographer offered to take our picture as he saw us struggling with a selfie:


As Tom, Ruth Anne and Ric (one of the first runners we met in Hyannis in 2009), took their place at the start, I made my way to the front of the pack to capture the start on video.

I bumped into Susie Comstock who I met at the Expo and she wanted to take a photo with me:


Paulie had Bill Rodgers say a few words before the start of the race. I was overwhelmed when he talked about me and my journey. "Mary's run this course before you know and you might want to draw inspiration from her journey while you are out there!"

After the Star Spangled Banner they were off:


"Look at everyone looking at their watches. Just have a great time out there!"

I went back to my Expo table and picked up a copy of "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953." I asked the barista for her name and signed the copy of my book. Her eyes filled with tears when I gifted it to her. My heart was full.

I love standing at the finish line of the race admiring runners who are swift of foot. I saw my friend Brian Baker cross the finish line in fine form.

I asked if I could move to the other side of the finish line to have a better view of when Tom, Ruth Anne and Ric would finish. They made me feel like royalty saying that I was a part of the race!

As the time went by, I was getting a little concerned about my Team. Ruth Anne had injured her hip, vacillated between whether or not she should run but felt her recent acupuncture treatment would hold her in good stead.

I was so relieved when Tom, Ruth Anne and Ric crossed the finish line. They honored the runner's code and stayed with Ric who was having a really rough day.


We went into the ballroom where the traditional 99 Restaurant soup was served along with bagels, peanut butter, fruit and water.

Memories of Camp Hyannis through the past 11 years washed through me while I savored the magical moments from Camp Hyannis 2020.

We packed up my Expo table and while Tom and Ruth Anne showered, I packed up the room.

Crossing over the Bridge to Boston is bittersweet:


but we will return in June to Falmouth for a 5K racecation!

As we unpacked our suitcases, I basked in the glow of a most memorable Camp Hyannis weekend and am so excited to welcome friends to Boston for the running of the Boston Marathon on April 20th.

On April 19th, at 10am, I will be a member of a panel as part of the Runners Seminar Series entitled, "Late Life Running and Whole Life Running," sharing how the sport of running transformed my life at the age of 53!

From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness
Mary

Be sure to visit my website

My books are available on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment