Monday, July 27, 2020

Billy Mills Virtual 10K/5K Run/Walk



Shortly after I came to the sport of running at the age of 54 years old, I was profoundly inspired by Billy Mills 1964 Olympic Gold Medal Win. The more I learn about Billy and his journey, the more my soul stirs by what Billy endured to achieve his dream that healed his soul.

When I declared to my personal trainer in February of 2008 that I wanted to run the 2009 Boston Marathon, I had never run a day in my life. In December of 2006 I was diagnosed with Post Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease and told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. When my personal trainer asked me for my next goals, the words, "And I want to run the Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab," fell out of my mouth coming from the depths of my soul.

This video of Billy Mills 1964 Olympic Gold Medal win motivated me and continues to motivate me throughout my running journey.

"The subconscious mind cannot tell the difference between reality or imagination...You live in the moment the way you want it to be." ~Billy Mills



Shortly after the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome, I got still and asked for Divine Guidance. The answer came in the form of a poem, 'Running the Race'.

An excerpt of the poem from "Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility:
Using wheelchair to travel, set limits on what I could do,
Resulted in joy to realize I could live life anew.
Celebrated my body- creaks, groans and need for a brace
While in my mind I focused on winning a 10K race.
Sought out paths for healing and my spirit flew free
For the first time in life, I could truly be me.
The chains are gone and possibilities abound
I'm a tree with my roots planted firmly in ground.
I'm now off the sidelines, no need to sit and whine
So much gratitude fills my heart and love and beauty shine.
After all these years I can join the loving human race
I exceed all expectations and now I set the pace.

I sobbed to write those words. I had never spoken about polio or the abuse I endured. I became curious. Why am I writing about winning a 10K race?


Last year, I entered a Facebook contest and was blessed to win a scarf hand painted by Billy's wife Pat for his 80th birthday and a copy of his book, "Lessons of a Lakota."

We have been supporting Billy's 'giveaway,' Running Strong for American Indian Youth by purchasing socks from Fox River and making direct donations to Running Strong for American Indian Youth.

From the #RunWithBilly website: At the 1964 Olympics, Billy Mills (Oglala Lakota Sioux) shocked the world and came from behind to win the gold medal in the 10,000 meters race. He was, and is still, the only American to win a gold medal in the 10K event. In Lakota culture, someone who achieves great success has a “give away” to thank their community of support. As part of his “give away”, Billy helped found Running Strong for American Indian Youth. Today, Native American children, families, and the communities they live in benefit from Billy’s dream. You can help.

From August 1 - August 9th, you can #runwithbilly by running or walking a 10K or 5K. You will receive a bib signed by Billy with the number he wore when he won Olympic Gold and with Pat's design from Billy's 80th Birthday celebration:


The entry fee is $28.24 for his winning time!

I have a very special connection to the 1964 Olympics through an earth angel of a camp counselor I had at Badger Day Camp. Joe Stetz gave up his Olympic bid to compete in the 1964 games in the butterfly event to become a physician. He coached me when I was 10 years old to compete in the butterfly event at the end of season Olympics. You can read the blogs I wrote about Joe and how he blessed my life by following this link.

When Team McManus takes to the road on August 1st to #runwithbilly we will hold his story close in our hearts and embody the champions within us. I will also be holding Joe Stetz close to my heart. He inspired me to always believe in myself, to show up and be the best I could be on race day. We will also be running for Running Strong for American Indian Youth.

Register today by following this link.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
Mary

To learn more about my journey on the roads and in my life as a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma, be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

My books are available on Amazon.






No comments:

Post a Comment