Sunday, July 5, 2020

Reflections on Freedom: Our Fourth of July Run



Even though I experienced severe trauma at the hands of family members, I was always bold in the way I lived my life. Often times my boldness would result in more trauma but I held steadfast to my Truth until the time would come when I could venture out into the world on my own.

In December of 2006, the Western Medicine community gave me the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome and told me to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. I boldly turned a deaf ear to their predictions and tuned into Source for Divine Guidance. The answer came in the form of a poem, "Running the Race" and then poems flowed out of me in which I imagined myself running and dancing, feeling free in my body. The poems also served as a way to heal the past through gratitude, forgiveness and bathing my wounds with Divine Love.

During the summer of 1971, I was a prisoner in my own home. Even though my parents were separated, my father would come to the house in a drunken rage. Because my mother was addicted to prescription pain medication, she would let him in the house. On August 1, 1971 he ended his life after going missing for 5 days.

All the trauma had become trapped in my body and combined with the effects of paralytic polio which I contracted at age 5, my body, mind and soul were withering away.

BUT this story has a very happy ending!



I began to heal and transform through the power of the mind/body connection through visualization and meditation along with rigorous physical training. I found my way to the sport of running and on April 20, 2009, crossed the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon.



To quote Forrest Gump, "And from that day on, whenever I was going anywhere I was running!" Well not quite but running is an integral part of my life.

From "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life":

"Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them." -Marcus Aurelius

Born to Run

Born free
born to run
run free
unencumbered untethered unshackled
pouring energy into my running form
liquid gold once fired in the crucible
now my treasure born of my Spirit molded with alchemy
refining
my precious treasure once buried
the map safely tucked away
X marks the spot
a new starting line.

Poised and ready
to go the distance
all out without hesitation
all is healed at last
my pace swift
Mercury and Hermes pace me on winged feet
I AM
born to run
running free
joyfully crossing the finish line with ease.


What a wonderful way to celebrate July 4th running with Tom and Ruth Anne by my side. We celebrated my freedom from my past and the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome along with Ruth Anne's freedom from a diagnosis of chronic psychiatric illness to transformation to health and wellness after we found the missing puzzle piece last summer.

It was extremely bold of me to not accept the diagnosis that the "professionals" were giving Ruth Anne and to allow Spirit to guide me in helping her find her way out of the darkness and onto a path of health and wellness.

We celebrated our freedom with a run and were treated to these glorious scenes:


My heart was full after running 3.37 miles feeling deep gratitude for the freedom I have come to know despite challenging circumstances I have lived through.



Let freedom ring!

To learn more about my incredible journey be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

My books to inspire and uplift you are available on Amazon.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment