Monday, July 20, 2020

Fantastic Four Miles



Summer sun, heat and humidity returned to Boston this weekend. We debated about whether or not Tom and Ruth Anne would get in their 6 mile run in preparation for the Falmouth Road Race At Home Edition. They either do another 5K after we run together or they run the next day. It was going to be oppressive weather conditions to run on Sunday. Something bubbled up inside of me and I suggested that we do 4 miles together.

I have not done 4 miles since February of this year. I've been conservative in my mileage while working on my pace in part because my chiropractor took an extended maternity leave (she's due in August) with the pandemic. I was feeling quite demoralized as many people were and couldn't seem to get my running mojo going. As we settled into a new rhythm of life, I focused on getting back my running mojo. The most important aspects of my running mojo were to feel the joy of running without races or running friends in person and to challenge myself.

I have been working on improving my pace at the 5K distance and when the temperatures cooperate, I have been quite successful.

We took a lot of water breaks having our water bottles that were frozen overnight in our water belts. We improvised our route. There was construction happening around the Reservoir so we had to turn back before we completed our loop. There were a lot of bicycles and people. We exited stage left and went down the hill running around the periphery of the Reservoir. We took another downhill to add mileage. Rather than taking a right to go home, we took a left to run Eliot Street end to end! We zig zagged to run in the shade. Our water supply was rapidly dwindling but so was the mile left for us to run.

I poured sweat even after we finished our run and felt a deep sense of joy and satisfaction savoring summertime in the City:



For 12 years I have been a part of the sport of running. With all the miles I have run and accomplishments I have experienced, running has been the gift that keeps on giving mind, body and soul. I have tested and challenged myself at different races with time and distance and received the gifts of triumph and exhilaration. During these unprecedented times with races cancelled and the prohibition of gatherings, running has given me the gift of exploring new routes in my neighborhood, helped me to stay connected with friends through our mutual love of running and camaraderie that has grown through the years and the gift of physical, emotional and spiritual well being.

I love feeling spent after a run reaping the gifts that a great run gives, especially after revisiting the distance of four fantastic miles!

To learn more about my incredible and miraculous journey from the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond, be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

My books are available on Amazon.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment