Monday, March 18, 2019

My Morning Run!



Although the temperature was going to be in the 20's and we knew it was going to be dark when we got up at 5:45 am, Tom and I knew it was time to get back to the routine of our early morning run. I had been doing the bike at the gym for cardio and Tom was doing an elliptical or treadmill workout over lunch where he works. While those work outs were important and held us in good stead to get through the winter months, getting up early on a Monday morning to go on a run is a magnificent way to start a new day and a new week.

We planned to go down Beacon Street but when we saw that the ground around the Cleveland Circle Reservoir was clear, we chose to do our first Reservoir run of the year.

Until I became a runner in 2008, I couldn't appreciate the change of seasons in New England. We even considered moving to Florida shortly after I was diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome in December of 2006. Cold intolerance and being afraid of falling with the high risk for a fracture (or so I was told) led to me being a hermit during winter months. Heat and humidity caused me to wilt as the polio virus had tampered with my thermostat. Because of my general physical discomfort before I set out on my healing odyssey in 2007 and before I discovered the healing power of running in February of 2008, I was not aware of the beauty in the change of seasons and the ebb and flow that accompanies our natural world.

This morning we were treated to a glorious sunrise with the sun lighting up the Reservoir:


We heard birds singing encouraging a return to Spring. We were One with the transformation from Winter to Spring even though there are no buds on the trees yet.

The ground was hard but the snow and ice were gone!



Ducks, geese and swans had returned to the flowing Reservoir water:


Because we had been running primarily on hills, I was able to turn this morning's run into a tempo run as I begin my mental and physical preparation for Finish at the 50.

We breathed in the cool, crisp, fresh morning air while taking in the beauty of the scene around us.

Camouflaged in the grey gravel, Spirit nudged me to look down and take notice of a quarter:


a reminder that In God We Trust.

"What's the date on it?" I asked Tom as I handed the quarter to him.

"1970...." Tom paused. "That's the year I came to the States after living in Spain for 10 years." Tom left his family to return to the States and build a life for himself. We met in 1977 on a blind date and have been together ever since. I came to Boston in 1971 leaving my family and my past behind!

As the sun rose higher in the sky, my heart overflowed with gratitude. I was so excited for today's possibilities as I anticipated working on my Book Launch Party happening just 2 weeks from Saturday:


and preparing for upcoming interviews.

It's a sacred and special time to be unplugged out on a run with my best friend and soul mate. We talk about our day and week ahead, the world around us and anything else that came to mind and heart.

When Tom and I returned from our run, our cheeks were rosy and we were ready for the day and the week ahead:


Breakfast tastes so delicious after a run.

While many people like to start their day with a cup of coffee, I like to start my day with my morning run where the problems from yesterday dissipate into the morning air and the sun lights up the day with possibilities.

To your health and wellness,
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.



“The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance tapping into the powerful connection she experienced to the Divine from an early age. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running. Her story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog, discovering the meaning of different ability and experiencing the stunning view from the back of the pack of a race. You will have the privilege of bearing witness to how Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her. The sport of running provides the backdrop for her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary that tested her mettle while forging friendships to last a lifetime. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.





No comments:

Post a Comment