Monday, March 25, 2019

The Magic of Marathon Monday Has Arrived! Part II




There was so much Marathon Monday magic happening on Saturday that it takes two blog posts to share all of the emotions and excitement!

In February of 2008, I had completed 6 months of working with a personal trainer. We were setting new health and fitness goals in February of 2008:

“Well I want to feel free in my body. I want to dance. I want to be able to walk outside and feel unencumbered when I take a walk.”

Janine feverishly wrote down my goals, and we worked out a plan. She gathered up her belongings and had her hand on the door knob.

“Wait. I have one more goal.”

Janine stopped and turned around.

“I want to run the Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab Hospital. I know they have a Race for Rehab team and I want to do it next year.”

Did you ever have one of those moments when words fell out of your mouth after rising up from the depths of your soul without going through any thought process?


When the words, "And I want to run the Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab" fell out of my mouth, I had no idea that ten years later I would be standing near the Johnny Kelley statue on Heartbreak Hill experiencing all that the magic of the Boston Marathon has to offer. It was magical to see so many of the friends that I made through the running community and experience the bonds created through the sport of running. I got goosebumps and may have even shed a few tears of gratitude and awe as Tom and I ran our 5K out and back on Heartbreak Hill. I was in awe of how I transformed my life through running and how many lives I have inspired through my Boston Marathon journey. I refused to take the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome sitting down and when I vowed to heal my life, the door opened inviting me to become a part of the most powerful community I have ever known.

Charity runners run with more than their legs. They run with heart and passion for the causes that are near and dear to their hearts. In addition to going through the grueling training for the Boston Marathon, they fund raise to bring monies and awareness to organizations that are improving the quality of life for so many.

One such charity is The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation. Kate lovingly and creatively sets up an aid station for the runners. One week the theme was St. Patrick's Day and for Saturday's run, she brought in Easter and the Hop21 theme. Pretzels, Peeps, brownies, water, gatorade and beer shots were a few of the goodies on their table:


Everything they do involves children and kindness.



Each of their runners carries the memory and legacy of their forever 6 year old son, Joseph Middlemiss who died on 9/23/13 with them in their hearts. When Scott was suffering with the depths of despair and grief, Dave McGillivray offered him a Boston Marathon bib.

Kate told the story in her post Hop21 Facebook post:

More Saturday morning inspiration out on the Boston Marathon course today. It was simply amazing to watch thousands of individuals come together to complete their “long run” in preparation for Marathon Monday. So many powerful and beautiful observations made from the sidelines! I’m not sure if I will ever be able to thank Dave McGillivray enough for believing in Team Big Heart and making it possible for us to have a marathon team. Dave, you have made so many dreams come true! This has been a life changing experience for so many (myself included) that all started with one bib for Scott Middlemiss several years ago. ONE marathon bib that pretty much saved my husband during the darkest days of his life while also opening our eyes to the indescribable goodness of the running community. With Dave’s unending support, Scott Middlemiss and Andrea Ketcham Walsh’s vision for the team, JMBHF Board of Director hard work, and the sheer dedication of ALL of our Team Big Heart runners and supporters, WE have built this beautiful legacy. We are ALL HEART and so proud to be a part of this iconic Boston experience.

Last year we had the opportunity to join Susan Hurley’s Charity Teams organization. We have met some of the most extraordinary individuals here and have been embraced by a bigger “family”’of runners filled with care and community spirit. We are so grateful!
Only a few more weeks to go until the big day! It’s been such an honor to be part of this journey and witness the resiliency of the human spirit present in all of these runners. Truly powerful stuff! I’m so glad my children have been by my side to see it all. Lifelong lessons for sure! I’m just not sure what we will do with our Saturday mornings after Patriots Day!


Team Big Heart runners in Hopkinton and with the group of Charity Runners:


The magic and mysticism of the Boston Marathon is palpable at the starting line!

Team Big Heart members conquering the Hills and a photo of the T shirts designed by a team member for the day:



"Do you have a bandaid?" a runner from Team Brookline asked Kate.
"Yes, I have one in my diaper bag."

I helped her and her husband get the band aid on a blister that had just popped. She needed an arm to get her sock on before she went on her way. She chatted for a few minutes about Team Brookline and then I added, "Don't worry about the blister. I had a huge blood blister pop on my last long run and I was fine on Marathon Monday."

Tom and I would cheer on runners who we didn't know by name by the charity shirts they were wearing. Several stopped to ask about the Middlemiss Foundation.

At around noon, when many of the Team Big Heart runners had passed and we were getting hungry for lunch, we headed out to Mile 10 in Natick.

Paper Fiesta, on historic Mile 10, is the venue for the book launch party for "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" on 4/6 from 3-5pm.

The magic of Marathon Monday pulsated through Natick Center Cultural District:


Although the runners had already passed Mile 10, in their wake they left the anticipation for Marathon Monday happening 3 weeks from today.

The stage is set inside Paper Fiesta for my book launch party and for runners and spectators to anticipate the excitement of Marathon Monday:


We have the book launch party on April 6th, a screening of the Boston Marathon documentary in Natick with a Q & A with Director Jon Dunham and Boston EMS Walter Dunbar on April 10th and a weekend of festivities, the Expo, welcoming friends to Boston and meeting Facebook friends in person for the first time as we countdown to the 123rd running of the Boston Marathon.

To quote the Boston Marathon documentary, 'There's nothing that compares to standing at the starting line of the Boston Marathon!"


From Hopkinton to Boston, and all the cities and towns that mark the Boston Marathon route, the magic of Marathon Monday has arrived. How will you count down to Marathon Monday?

To your health and wellness,
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.



“The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance tapping into the powerful connection she experienced to the Divine from an early age. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running. Her story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog, discovering the meaning of different ability and experiencing the stunning view from the back of the pack of a race. You will have the privilege of bearing witness to how Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her. The sport of running provides the backdrop for her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary that tested her mettle while forging friendships to last a lifetime. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.



No comments:

Post a Comment