Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Solitude and Joy on a Solo Run!



Before I recorded my interview with Bernie Siegel, MD and Lionel Ketchian for Dreamvisions7 Radio show Mind Health Matters, I took time for meditation. As the sunlight streamed into my room, this overwhelming feeling came over me that I needed to go on a run rather than head to the pool at my gym after the program. I felt it deep in my soul. We've been waiting for winter to say goodbye and the warmth of Spring to arrive before heading out on our early morning runs again. I went to the gym on Monday and did 7 miles on the bike. My usual routine is 2 days cardio, 2 days of swimming and 1 day of strength training but I just KNEW I needed to get out for a solo run.

I had a wonderful interview with Bernie and Lionel sharing my healing odyssey and talking about my latest book, "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953". Bernie and I have a very special connection that I shared in this recent blog. Although I'd gotten in a run on Saturday and done 7 miles on the bike on Monday, I knew a run was exactly what my body needed.

I knew I needed to choose a route where I stayed in the sunshine although that would mean a more hilly route.

I dodged ice and snow and made my way down Chestnut Hill Avenue to Cleveland Circle with my music and thoughts tuning out the sound of traffic rushing by me.

I crossed over to the sunny side of the street running the same route I ran ten years ago on 4/20/2009 on that epic journey from Hopkinton to Boston.

I reflected on the miracle of my healing from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma and my heart overflowed with gratitude.

After I reached my halfway point on my 5K run, I headed down the hill toward Cleveland Circle allowing myself time to drink in the glorious sunshine and feel the anticipation of Spring in the air.

As I got to Cleveland Circle, I paused for a moment wondering if I should tackle the hill up Chestnut Hill Avenue. "Of course....you must. You are going to be running Finish at the 50 in July!"

I breathed in the cool crisp air and reminded myself that I am in training for a race. The last race I ran was the Bermuda Half Marathon in 2018. It felt good to push the limits as I ran, conquering a very long hill heading back to my home.

I couldn't remember the last time I experienced a solo run needing to push, pace and encourage myself along the way. Yet I found a wonderful sense of solitude, strength and contentment on yesterday's solo run.

I passed one street that went downhill and would have easily taken me back home but instead I went straight up the hill thoroughly relishing the moment when the road became flat again.

Sweat pooled in the small of my back and I took off my hat. I found myself smiling as I finished the final steps on my run that carried over into the selfie I took:


It felt wonderful to get in a weekday run and to kick off my training for Finish at the 50. I have renewed confidence in my body after putting it through the rigors of 3 Bermuda Half Marathons in as many years knowing that I was born to run!

While at my pace, I may never break the finisher's tape at a race, I experience the joy in the journey and the gift of solitude on a solo run. And besides, you always come in first when you run your own race!

To your health and wellness,
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.



“The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance tapping into the powerful connection she experienced to the Divine from an early age. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running. Her story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog, discovering the meaning of different ability and experiencing the stunning view from the back of the pack of a race. You will have the privilege of bearing witness to how Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her. The sport of running provides the backdrop for her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary that tested her mettle while forging friendships to last a lifetime. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:







No comments:

Post a Comment