Sunday, March 31, 2019

When It's Counterintuitive...On Movement and Momentum



We had ice dams several years ago during one of the worst winters in New England. We hadn't had them in all the previous years and when we finally got a roofer to come to the house, he explained what happens when ice dams are formed. "It's counterintuitive to the law of physics," he explained.

When I woke up this morning, as can happen if I don't get enough rest on my rest and recovery days, every part of me ached and burned. Tom and I had a great 5K run yesterday and enjoyed being out with the tapering Boston Marathon runners:


We had a new roof put on our house so after the run we went out to the Natick Mall.

Tom's Garmin showed that we had done a total of 5 miles yesterday!

Part of me thought about how sore I felt and did I really want to get up and do our strength training work out?

Of course I did although it was counterintuitive to get moving and continue to gain momentum in my health and fitness journey healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma from years gone by.

After a 20 minute meditation, clearing the energy and preparing for my day ahead, I gingerly stretched and got out of bed. I let out a huge sigh of gratitude for the opportunity of a new day and that I can put both feet on the floor and move!

I walked down the stairs and set up our home gym:


In addition to using upper and lower body weights, we do squats, a plank and use the stabilizers for gastroc muscle strengthening and balance.

I couldn't give much thought to how I was feeling in the moments before the workout and instead focused on knowing how wonderful I would feel during and after the workout.

I reflected on the feelings generated from reading Deena Kastor's book, "Let Your Mind Run."

Here are a few of my favorite quotes from her book that got me moving this morning:
Find a thought that serves you better!
Find the right tool for the moment.
When my mind talked my body listened
You are your own creation
Power of positivity and gratitude
From excuses to execution
When you put yourself into a mind set of enjoyment the cycle unfolds.


I cranked up my playlist and felt the joy and the gratitude that I AM able to work out and experience health and well being despite some aches and pains along the way.



During a recent interview with Frankie Picasso as we discussed my recent book, "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953," she asked my advice for someone who was in pain and feeling deconditioned. She is preparing for orthopedic surgeries to alleviate the pain caused by a critical motorcycle accident she was in 16 years ago. I started out by saying, 'It's counterintuitive to move when you're in so much pain, but once you focus on where you are going rather than where you are today you'll be able to move forward.'

I shared what I wrote in "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":
“You know I’m curious,” I said to Janine. “Do you think you could help me? I was just discharged from Spaulding Rehab.”

I went on to tell her about my journey.

“I don’t know,” she said “but I’d certainly be happy to set up an assessment with you.”

I couldn’t even pass the initial fitness assessment.

“You’re way too young to not be able to get off of the toilet seat without holding on to the sink or to not be able to get off of the couch,” she said to me.

It was a statement of fact without judgment. She spoke the truth about my deconditioned physical state. I signed on to work with her once a week in personal training. I had no idea what or why I was doing this. I did know that if I was going to be in pain, I’d prefer to feel the pain of recovery instead of the pain of decline. Janine held enough faith for both of us that I could come out of my leg brace and have a good quality of life despite the diagnosis and prognosis I received.


While it may be counterintuitive to move when we are in pain, our bodies receive a powerful message of healing and repair when we move and move forward rather than remain in a state of stagnation and pain.

To your health and wellness,
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.



“The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance tapping into the powerful connection she experienced to the Divine from an early age. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running. Her story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog, discovering the meaning of different ability and experiencing the stunning view from the back of the pack of a race. You will have the privilege of bearing witness to how Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her. The sport of running provides the backdrop for her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary that tested her mettle while forging friendships to last a lifetime. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.









No comments:

Post a Comment