Sunday, March 3, 2019

Dr. Seuss & Semper Fi Fund!



Happy Birthday to Dr Seuss!! 115th Birthday!!! What better way to show support to Semper Fi then a Virtual 5k to a man who also made the military fun!!

Friendships forged through the sport of running has been one of the greatest rewards of being a part of this great sport.

Last year I was blessed to meet Jennifer Sprague who ran the Boston Marathon for the Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation. Through Jennifer, I met Katie Audrey Carrien, her sister-in-law on Facebook.

When she invited me to run the Dr. Seuss Birthday Virtual 5k for Semper Fi Funds, I was so excited to have everything I love come together in one virtual 5K. As I wrote about in yesterday's blog, Dr. Seuss had a profound impact on my life as I recovered from childhood paralytic polio and after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome. I worked at the VA as a social worker for almost 20 years caring for veterans and their families. I know how important and vital non-profit organizations are to helping veterans and their families because the VA cannot do it all. And how awesome to be able to support a great cause through running, the sport I love.

I was also delighted to learn from Katie's event that Dr. Seuss joined the Army in 1943 and served as the commander of the Animation Department of the First Motion Picture Unit of the United States Army Air Forces.

The Semper Fi Fund, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, provides immediate financial assistance and lifetime support to post-9/11 combat wounded, critically ill and catastrophically injured members of all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces and their families, ensuring that they have the resources they need during their recovery and transition back to their communities. Since establishing the Semper Fi Fund in 2004, given more than $167 million in assistance to over 20,000 of our heroes and their families. The basic ideal that drives our efforts is simple: as much as these American heroes have sacrificed, they deserve the best care and support available in their hour of need. Injuries are often severe, and the road to recovery or rehabilitation can be long and costly.

Please support our campaign by entering an amount in the "Make a Contribution" box below. If you would like to donate directly to one of our team members, please enter the runner’s name in the “Search” box above.

Thank you for supporting the Semper Fi Fund and for helping those who have given so much in the name of freedom!


Katie designed t-shirts for the virtual 5K happening on March 2nd, Dr. Seuss' birthday and proceeds from the sale of the t-shirts went to her fund raising.

Running with all my heart for all those who protect it!
★★ You've reached 40% of your goal! You're nearly halfway there!
Supporting Charity: Semper Fi Fund Fundraiser Goal: $10,000

Welcome to my fundraising page!!

Im still in shock with being asked to fill a racing bib!! There’s Boston Strong ! There’s Army Wife Strong and now Kate Marathon Strong!!!

Every race I run I try to make it memorable by wearing a costume or taking crazy pictures. Yes, Boston is already memorable but now I’m running for and helping the US Armed Forces! This isn’t my first marathon but definitely one with the most meaning! I’m not a fast runner but I will always finish a race because my heart and strong will is what gets me to the finish line.

I’ve wanted to run this ever since my dad got me to run The Falmouth Road Race when I was 10! He told me “someday Kate you’ll be running marathons”. And here I am!!

Please help me in reaching my goal to run Boston and to support our US Armed Forces!!

Thank you for helping make this happen!

Love Kate


Tom and I were hoping that we would be able to run outside for the Virtual 5K but the roads were slippery and snow covered. We opted for a treadmill run.

The sun did not shine it was too wet to play but we didn’t stay in the house all that cold cold wet day
we went to the gym and got an a run what else can you do if you want to have fun
3.1 miles for Semper Fi and Katie this one’s for you
For our service men and women thank you for all you do.




However, Jennifer, our badass neighbor to the North took to the back roads of New Hampshire and got her 5K done outside:


We were all connected through our desire to support Katie and her 2019 Boston Marathon run for Semper Fi Fund and delighted to wear our Dr. Seuss inspired t-shirts.

Katie lives in Florida and had beautiful running weather yesterday:


Katie is almost half way to her fund raising goal. Please consider making a donation by following this link.

Our post 9/11 veterans and their families deserve all of the love and support we can give them. They made the ultimate sacrifice for us! Thank you for running on their behalf Katie and for a creative fund raising effort with the Dr. Seuss 5K Virtual Run for Semper Fi Fund.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.



“The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance tapping into the powerful connection she experienced to the Divine from an early age. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running. Her story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog, discovering the meaning of different ability and experiencing the stunning view from the back of the pack of a race. You will have the privilege of bearing witness to how Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her. The sport of running provides the backdrop for her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary that tested her mettle while forging friendships to last a lifetime. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.












No comments:

Post a Comment