Monday, July 1, 2019

Countdown to Finish at the 50: Monday Memories



Yesterday was Billy Mills 81st birthday. I was trying to remember how I first came to know about Billy and his epic upset at the 1964 Olympics and how he harnessed the power of his mind and beliefs to earn Gold. I suppose that I picked it up in my Facebook news feed early on in my career as a late life runner.

Billy's method of visualization and race preparation hit a chord deep within my soul.

When I was training for my Finish at the 50 comeback race in July of 2015, this video became a regular staple for me:


From "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":
Armed with affirmations, Kinesio tape, meditations, faith, strength, courage and determination, writing poetry to fuel my journey and a new strength training exercise regimen, I got back on the roads. I trained for my comeback race: the 2015 Finish at the 50 on July 3. Tom was my pacer. We trained through heat, humidity, and in the evening to simulate race day conditions. He was my greatest supporter and cheerleader and helped me run my race at my pace coming back strong and steady after the knee injury that “they” said would sideline me.

The Source

Wellspring of joy flows deep within soul
rising surprisingly healing brokenness whole.
Thawing and melting magnificence made new
cleansing congestion reveals radiance True.
Miracles arise from this sacred space
fears and pain transformed by Your Loving Grace.
Running and laughing happiness free
a raucous rampage a celebration spree.
Grounded sure footed it's time fancy fine
Divine Love a waterfall cascading spine.

Fools were blind to this treasure so rare
unstoppable unceasing heart open to share.

The joy in the journey a sight to behold
the glory my triumphs I run brave and bold.
Each footstep each mile transformed and made new
a champion reborn glorious Spirit shines through.

“The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” ~Socrates

Advice from Olympian Billy Mills June 10, 2015

“The subconscious mind cannot tell the difference between reality and imagination ... Relive the moment the way you want it to be.” ~Billy Mills Olympic Gold Medalist 10000 meter Tokyo 1964

Heading out on my training run, I wanted to break that elusive 16:00 minute/mile pace that had been with me since I returned to the roads in March. It was in my mind's eye last Saturday but it didn't happen. I'd been watching Billy Mills’ YouTube video as I retrain myself as a runner. I've been keeping a healing journal writing affirmations as Billy Mills did when he had the biggest upset in Olympic history. I wanted to write in my training journal a 5K run with a sub 16:00 minute/mile pace. To be honest, I was afraid to write it down in case I missed my mark. I know you have to be willing to commit 100% to goals. I continue to clear out the messages from doctors and therapists who discouraged me from running or pushing myself. There was a part of me that didn't want to "fail" if I wrote down the goal and fell short. Although I couldn't commit to writing down the goal, I made a shift in my thoughts before I went on my run.

I reminded myself that I am a runner. I imagined Forrest Gump, Wilma Rudolph and Billy Mills. When I get out of my own way and allow the transformation to happen, I am fearless when it comes to setting and achieving goals. I thought about Dr. Joe’s work in "You Are the Placebo." Instead of focusing on the how, why or what of breaking the 16:00 minute/mile pace, I focused on a PR for my race on July 3rd. I decided to set the goal and just let it happen. I reminded myself of how I felt in 2010 breaking PR after PR by setting my mind and intention squarely on the outcome. I visualized finishing on the 50 yard line at Gillette. I ran and flowed from the inside out. I could tell when my mind strayed from working coherently with my body and I reeled it right back in. As I trained my body, I tamed my mind. I felt a side stitch and nausea, and reminded myself to run from my soul. I allowed the beautiful image of being an elegant runner within me to emerge.

I did not look at my time but had every confidence that I was running a sub 16:00 minute/mile pace. I believed it with every fiber of my being and asked the Universe to work with me to just make it happen. I have been strength training and cross training while working with my beliefs about running and setting goals. Dr. Joe writes about the importance of coherence between the mind and body. During today’s run, I kept coming back to feeling everything working together. I placed all of my physical, mental and spiritual energy into the outcome I wanted for today's training run.

It happened! My fastest pace since 9/20/14 and 1 minute and 46 seconds within striking range of my 46:53 PR at the Bill Rodgers 5K in August.

***46:52*** is the time I want to see on the clock when we cross the finish line at the Finish at the 50 on July 3rd. I believe in setting goals not limits. I know how amazing it feels to open up this body and run as well and as fast as I possibly can. I'm back feeling strong and confident as a runner. When doubts or fears rear their head, I can outrun them. I'm retraining myself mind, body and Spirit for speed and endurance.

Success breeds success. Seeing an average pace of 15:33 with splits of 15:44, 15:14 and 15:47 (the last mile had a hill!) made me smile from ear to ear.


While I did not hit a PR that day, it was an incredibly magical and mystical day.

I met a Facebook friend who was struggling with a flare of her autoimmune disease but after meeting me, felt inspired to go out and give it her all. Before the race, I suggested to her that she visualize how she felt in her body on her best race day.

From "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance:"

Then I met up with Mary McManus and her husband Tom. An amazing couple so full of love, life and faith! When I spoke my doubts aloud, Mary said to me, "Don't focus on your doubts, instead visualize your last best race." That's what I did. I got into the zone of my last 10k that I PR'd. I got into a rhythm with the crutches I didn't even think possible. I ran with Aidan and together we took off. Wonder Woman and Superman (referencing their costumes of the day) finished so strong. I reached my runners high, that pain free bliss where I was invincible! Someday, I will run another marathon! Yesterday reminded my brain of that! The brain fog is clearing and while it may still take a while to get there, I am on the right path. I am not alone on my journey! You did amazing!!!! I cannot express how thankful I am to both you and your husband. From each touch giving me positive healing energy, to every sweaty hug! The impact you had on my family was so amazing and incredible! I am sorry you didn't hit your PR but what you did yesterday will remain forever in the memories and hearts of our family. Love and relaxation for a great holiday week to you both!


And THIS happened from "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":
Anthony Raynor and Clarence Smith had me at hello at the Bermuda Marathon Weekend Booth at the Finish at the 50 Expo. Tom started chatting with Clarence "Stoker" Smith. I hung back but cocked an ear to the conversation. I gingerly eyed the pink Bermuda wrist bands, the bling from Bermuda Marathon Weekend races and the samples of pink sand. I glanced at Tom and felt we each had a tug at our souls. The tug got stronger with each moment we talked with Clarence and Anthony. We reminisced about when we went to Bermuda. I felt goosebumps and a warm feeling come over me, while a part of me was wondering why was I even having this conversation about running in Bermuda. Several months ago I was told to cap my distance and prepare for a total knee replacement.

“If you can get up to the Half Marathon distance, you’ll be better off than running the 10K with all of its steep hills,” Anthony said in his delicious Bermudian accent.

“The last time I was in Bermuda I was in a leg brace using a cane and a wheelchair.”

Clarence's wife said, "Look at you now girl."

There was no stopping me now. We exchanged information. Clarence told us he'd pick us up at the airport. I chatted with Anthony about the weather in January.

"Look," he said with a deep warm laugh, "I was told you people still have piles of snow near the Seaport Hotel from this past winter. I can guarantee you this. You will have no snow in Bermuda in January."

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.” ~Mark Twain

It was time to sail away from safe harbor and go the distance again. This time on the magical Island of Bermuda.

“Running is about finding your inner peace and so is a life well lived. Run with your heart.” ~Dean Karnazes


I ran the Inaugural Finish at the 50 10K on July 4, 2010.

On July 4, 2011, we ran the 10K with a friend we met through an online running community.

I took a running hiatus after the death of my nephew by suicide in 2011. After returning to the roads in 2014, I set my sights on getting back to Finish at the 50. Little did I know it would become my comeback race and a turning point in my healing odyssey.

My goals for Wednesday's race are to have fun, finish and give the best performance I can.



I've put in all the training. I know what this body can do when I get out of my own way and allow my body to run.

I have many magical memories from Finish at the 50. I am excited to create more magical memories on Wednesday!

Counting down to Finish at the 50 5K: 2 days 4 hours 14 minutes and counting!

Let freedom ring!

From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and "Feel the Heal" and "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" are available in Natick Center Cultural District at Paula Romero Dunbar's Celebration Boutique Paper Fiesta coincidentally located on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon Route. Proceeds from the sale of books for June and July are being donated to The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation to support Tom's Falmouth Road Race. You can also donate directly by following this link.




No comments:

Post a Comment