Thursday, July 11, 2019

If it doesn't challenge you....



This morning a wonderful photo popped up in my Facebook feed:


From Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility (the first book in my Trilogy of Transformation):
Our first 5 mile race was the Marathon Sports 5 miler. It was a hot, steamy evening in July. We got lost on the way to the race. Tempers were running as hot as the thermometer because I was so anxious about running my first five mile race. My energy tended to wane by the evening as I was continuing to deal with the late effects of paralytic polio. We finally arrived and walked around trying to enjoy the pre race festivities. As everyone took their place at the start, I could see that this was a serious, competitive running crowd; quite a contrast to my first race ever, the Corrib Pub Run 5K in June.

Runners went out fast and Tom, Ruth Anne and I were in the back of the pack with a few other people. Even they took off and I told Ruth Anne to go out ahead of us. I experienced my first (of many) marathon training meltdowns. I cried as I shared with Tom all the memories of having kids take off and leave me behind that were bubbling to the surface. I was sweating and tired and hot. I couldn’t tell where my tears ended and sweat began. I told Tom I had no business training for the Boston Marathon. Tom was wonderful and he told me that I couldn’t quit. We would make it through this race and we would make it through every training run. He believed in me when I did not believe in myself. I did know, however, that if I didn’t finish that race, I would never make it to the starting line of the Boston Marathon. Alison gave me water and a high five out on the course. She was worried about me in the heat and wanted to make sure I was okay.

Despite finishing dead last, members of the Marathon Sports family who knew the story of Team McManus, had air horns and a truck on the field honking and blowing and cheering us on to the finish. Ruth Anne circled back around to bring us into the finish line. She was there at the finish line to give me a hug and celebrate my first 5 mile road race ever. I knew training for Boston was not going to be easy, but I knew I had what it was going to take to make it happen.


At 65 years old, and having run the 2009 Boston Marathon, 3 consecutive Bermuda Half Marathons and many other races, I could have easily put days of toeing a starting line behind me.

But with a stirring in my soul, I registered for the 2019 Harvard Pilgrim Finish at the 50 5K.

It was hot and there were ramps. It was an evening race but I knew I was well trained and was going to meet the challenge head on.

I was blessed to experience magic, signs and synchronicity on race day.

And a thunderous round of applause from my village on Facebook after Tom posted this video that I uploaded to YouTube:


One post from a runner friend, Thor, said, "YES! I love this. Great job, Mary. You keep setting the bar high! You're doing amazing."

I feel amazing; amazed that I was able to challenge myself and be a part of the racing community again. I often forget how inspired people are when I cross a finish line given the challenges that I experience in the wake of having contracted paralytic polio and endured years of trauma as a child and adolescent. I was transformed by having the opportunity to support another runner getting to the finish line and transformed by the touches of grace that were a part of race day.

I am deeply grateful for every challenge I experienced throughout my life. Each challenge helped me to find my strength and feel my connection to the Divine guiding me every step of the way.

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you and you don't have the opportunity to find the gift - the treasure - that lies within the challenge.

From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and "Feel the Heal" and "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" are available in Natick Center Cultural District at Paula Romero Dunbar's Celebration Boutique Paper Fiesta coincidentally located on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon Route. Proceeds from the sale of books for July are being donated to The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation to support Tom's Falmouth Road Race. You can also donate directly by following this link.





No comments:

Post a Comment