Monday, July 8, 2019

Finish at the 50 Race Report: Part 3 - Mission Accomplished



During these past 12 years of healing the effects of paralytic polio and severe childhood trauma, I have discovered that my mission in life is to inspire others with what I have been able to achieve and my transformation from a survivor of a horrific past to a runner and a woman who embodies strength, courage, resilience and faith!

After running 3 Bermuda Half Marathons and with the stress of our daughter's severe psychiatric illness, I took a long hiatus from toeing a starting line of a race. In February, I felt a stirring in my soul.

I can always count on Race Director Dave McGillivray to respond to my pre-race emails asking about his races! He told me there was no time limit for the race and that there were usually quite a few walkers who sign up for Finish at the 50.

After 11 years of being a part of the sport of running, I have finally embraced Dave's mottos of "My race, my pace ... My game, my rules!"



I was well trained when I lined up at the back of the pack at Gillette Stadium. Part of my mission for this race was to represent Team Big Heart: The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation's running Team.



We gathered pre-race and I could feel the love flowing among us!

I was amazed at how many walkers lined the 100 level concourse at Gillette Stadium and how, among the nearly 3000 runners, Dave McGillivray found us and thanked us for running!



It took us 8 minutes to cross the starting line. As we watched runners streaming out of the Stadium, I had to remind myself that there is no time limit and if, by chance, I didn't make it to the finish line in time to get my medal, I know the Account Executive for Ashworth Awards, John Breen, who I knew would hook me up.

I knew there was magic and synchronicity in the air and that my mission to represent Team Big Heart had begun at the starting line. Linda, the clinical coordinator for the Cardiac Cath Lab at Boston Childrens Hospital stood behind us and we shared a goosebump moment at the synchronicity that brought us together. While we were out on the course, I inspired Linda and her sister Rachel with my story.

I had no idea that there was another mission in store for me that day; to be a cheerleader for Erin Boudreau as she struggled with the heat of the day.

After she asked us if we were from Dracut noticing our Team Big Heart shirts, I just knew we were going to finish the race together despite her urging us to go ahead.

Somewhere between a little before mile 2 and the finish line, a friendship was forged, kindness shared and heart prints left on our hearts.

After I posted the video that Tom took on Facebook after I uploaded it to YouTube, Erin posted:

Thank you for being such great cheerleaders for me!! You guys were heaven sent just when I needed you
So thankful for my new friends! ❤️ thankful for you both for choosing to be kind❤️all you need is love!



I told Erin what a gift she gave to me by helping me to not push too hard in the heat and get all competitive with myself. She helped me to go beyond myself and being concerned about my finishing time and allowed me to experience the joy of being on the giving end of the runners code of leaving no runner behind!

Some may think that the glory of the finish line lies in breaking the tape or even having a great time according to the clock. And yes I will admit that I was very proud to have had 113 runners finish after us and to be 72/81 in my age group F60-69. I was thrilled that the announcer was praising the back of the pack runners for finishing strong.

But there's another kind of glory that happens at the finish line. There's glory in toughing out a challenge and not giving up. There's glory in transcending limitations and being open to possibility. There's glory in going the distance and achieving goals. There's glory in sharing kindness. And there is a wonderful feeling of glory of being able to say, mission accomplished!



From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and "Feel the Heal" and "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" are available in Natick Center Cultural District at Paula Romero Dunbar's Celebration Boutique Paper Fiesta coincidentally located on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon Route. Proceeds from the sale of books for July are being donated to The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation to support Tom's Falmouth Road Race. You can also donate directly by following this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment