Tuesday, July 9, 2019

A Celebration of Choices - A Celebration of Chance



As the fireworks display illuminated the night sky over Gillette Stadium after the Finish at the 50 races, I felt as though it was the Universe helping me celebrate the choices I made since the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December of 2006.





The first choice I made as I stood on the crossroads of my life was to get still and ask for Divine Guidance. The answer came in the form of a poem, "Running the Race." Poetry flowed out of me as though a spigot had been turned on in my soul. I imagined myself running free, feeling healthy and whole, dancing in the rain without a leg brace. My poetry focused on gratitude and forgiveness, well-being and expressed a profound connection to the Divine that I first experienced at the age of 5 after contracting paralytic polio.

I chose to quit my award winning career at the VA with the love and support of my husband to heal my life, dedicating myself to transcending a horrific past and transforming my life mind, body and soul. Chance led me to an incredible spine doctor who referred me to an angel of a physical therapist. She helped me to find the courage to take that leap of faith and led me to believe I could and would get stronger. I was not destined to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair!

When chance brought a personal trainer into my life, I chose to see if there was any way I could build on the program I received at Spaulding Rehab Outpatient Clinic.

From "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":
Shortly after being discharged from outpatient physical therapy I met Janine Hightower through Herb Simmons. He knew Janine through his participation in the Cardiac Rehab program at Boston Medical Center. I was launching my business New World Greeting Cards, original poetry for every occasion. She was a member of BNI, a professional networking group. As we sat in my living room, she talked about BNI and the benefits of being a member of this networking group. As she talked, I wasn’t focused on growing my business. My mind zeroed in on her sharing with us how she used BNI to promote her in home personal training business.

“You know I’m curious,” I said to Janine. “Do you think you could help me? I was just discharged from Spaulding Rehab.”

I went on to tell her about my journey.

“I don’t know,” she said “but I’d certainly be happy to set up an assessment with you.”

I couldn’t even pass the initial fitness assessment.

“You’re way too young to not be able to get off of the toilet seat without holding on to the sink or to not be able to get off of the couch,” she said to me.

It was a statement of fact without judgment. She spoke the truth about my deconditioned physical state. I signed on to work with her once a week in personal training. I had no idea what or why I was doing this. I did know that if I was going to be in pain, I’d prefer to feel the pain of recovery instead of the pain of decline. Janine held enough faith for both of us that I could come out of my leg brace and have a good quality of life despite the diagnosis and prognosis I received.

Janine’s mantra for our work together was a quote from Henry Ford, “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right!”

At my six-month evaluation in February, I made dramatic improvements in every area of the assessment. I had come out of my leg brace. I knew I was on a healing path.

“Let’s write down your goals for the next six months,” Janine said feeling proud and satisfied with my progress.

“Well I want to feel free in my body. I want to dance. I want to be able to walk outside and feel unencumbered when I take a walk.”

Janine feverishly wrote down my goals, and we worked out a plan. She gathered up her belongings and had her hand on the door knob.

“Wait. I have one more goal.”

Janine stopped and turned around.

“I want to run the Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab Hospital. I know they have a Race for Rehab team and I want to do it next year.”

Did you ever have one of those moments when words fell out of your mouth after rising up from the depths of your soul without going through any thought process?

Janine was non-plussed. I don’t know what kept her from turning tail and getting as far away from me as she could. She came back into my house, set down her things and without missing a beat said, “Well the first thing you are going to need is a pair of running shoes.”


"I did know that if I was going to be in pain, I’d prefer to feel the pain of recovery instead of the pain of decline."




I chose a path of pain, discipline and courage venturing into the unknown and doing so against medical advice. I was admonished with "If you use it, you will lose it" based on an outdated belief that the body cannot regenerate nerves and muscles.

After I ran the Boston Marathon in 2009, I was once again told I needed to not run anymore. Fortunately, as chance would have it, I met another wonderful physical therapist who told me I needed to take a break from running and helped me heal from the rigors of marathon training. I chose to return to the sport I had come to love and that was my medicine to heal the once devastating effects of paralytic polio and severe childhood trauma.

On July 4, 2010, I ran the Inaugural Harvard Pilgrim Finish at the 50 10K.

Fast forward to December 2014 when I suffered a very serious knee injury that the physiatrist, physical therapists, aquatics therapist and anyone who was not a runner in my circle said would be the end of my running days.

From 'The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953':
I went on line to get my MRI results before my appointment with Dr. Rosenberg in early January of 2015. The report indicated that I did indeed have a very badly torn meniscus and degenerative joint changes, bone spurs, a fatty lipoma, joint changes from multiple surgeries and fatty infiltrates into the left medial gastroc muscle as a result of denervation. That didn’t sound good but I know how appearances can and are deceiving. I remembered how I dissolved a breast tumor and rewired my entire body through the power of visualization. I transcended my past. I transformed from a survivor of paralytic polio to a woman who goes the distance on the roads and in my life.

Tom came with me for me follow up appointment. I didn’t betray to Dr. Rosenberg that I had already read my report. I listened as he told me the findings.

“Well we already knew you had an atrophied gastroc muscle from the polio. There’s nothing you can do about that. There is not enough cartilage to repair if you have arthroscopic surgery. I can tell you in all likelihood you are going to need a total knee replacement in a few years. You know my thoughts about running. I think you know my recommendation Mary. You really shouldn’t be running but if you are going to run please cap your distance. No more than a 5K. I am going to give you a prescription for physical therapy. I’d like to also highly recommend that you please come back to the Post-Polio clinic for a new evaluation. You know it’s only a matter of time before things start to progress again. Don’t overdo it!”

As I left the clinic with my prescription in hand, I watched myself making a follow up appointment for a re-evaluation with “the team.” I wasn’t sure that’s what I really needed.


As chance would have it, I had a physical therapist from hell BUT a chiropractor healer, Dr. Ryan J. Means was put in my path. I chose to partner with him, determined to get back on the roads.

On July 3, 2015, I had my comeback race: The Harvard Pilgrim Finish at the 50 5K.

By chance, I met the Race Director for Bermuda Marathon Weekend.

I chose to once again defy a diagnosis and prognosis and go against medical advice, going with Divine Guidance and went on to run 3 Consecutive Bermuda Half Marathons.

I could have chosen to stop racing at the finish line of the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon but this February, there was a stirring in my soul.

On July 3rd, I experienced all the magic that is Finish at the 50:



I crossed another finish line 12 and a half years after being told I "had" a progressive neuromuscular disease and should plan to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

I smiled as I looked down at this year's Finish at the 50 race shirt that I wore to the beach this weekend:


2010-2019 ... a lot of choices and a lot of "chance" happenings that led me to exactly where I'm supposed to be inspiring others with my message of healing, hope and possibility!

Now that's something to celebrate!

From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and "Feel the Heal" and "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" are available in Natick Center Cultural District at Paula Romero Dunbar's Celebration Boutique Paper Fiesta coincidentally located on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon Route. Proceeds from the sale of books for July are being donated to The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation to support Tom's Falmouth Road Race. You can also donate directly by following this link.







No comments:

Post a Comment