Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Run For More Than the Finish Line



This time twelve years ago, I was at a crossroads in my life. I took a leap of faith on May 25, 2007 leaving behind my award winning career as a VA social worker to heal my life after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease. I discovered the healing power of poetry to inspire mind, body and soul to heal and was discharged from outpatient therapy at Spaulding Rehab.

I had hope, faith and optimism that I could heal my life but had no road map to chart my course.

In October, the Universe led me to a personal trainer, Janine Hightower who helped me build on my outpatient rehab program and after 6 months, I declared that among my next health and fitness goals, I wanted to run the 2009 Boston Marathon!



Today I run for so much more than the finish line.

Running has become a way of life for me and my husband Tom.

Because of all that my body has endured: paralytic polio as a child followed by years of every kind of imaginable abuse and torture, 25 surgeries and wear and tear over 65 years, I appreciate every step that I am able to take. I celebrate every mile and experience every mile as a gift.

It's been an incredible journey harnessing the power of the mind/body connection to heal along with discipline, persistence, patience and a whole lot of faith that opened my heart to gratitude and miracles.

It's been hot and steamy here in Boston yet we continue to get out and run being mindful to hydrate and aware of dialing back our pace.

We run for our physical and emotional health, we run to unplug and be outdoors in nature, we run to unload the problems that can easily weigh us down, we run to celebrate healing and to uplift one of our Team Big Heart teammates who is in the ultramarathon of his life to recover from a spinal cord injury.

You can see the story from WBZ about his recent accident by following this link. If you are so moved, please donate to his GoFundMe page and please join me in prayers for his healing.

As we poured sweat and savored the blessing of being able to run on Tuesday morning, I beamed healing energy to Kevin from the Cleveland Circle Reservoir to Mass. General Hospital:



I remembered when I took my first tentative steps walking along Wollaston Beach shortly after coming out of my leg brace and all the milestones along the way on the road to the Boston Marathon.

I reflected on healing my left knee injury in December of 2014 through visualization and intensive rehab prescribed by a wonderful chiropractor.

As I sent powerful intentions for healing to Kevin I remembered how I needed to learn how to walk again after polio, and then again after coming out of the leg brace and how I had to learn to walk again after reconstructive leg surgery over 20 years ago.

The first day Janine and I went outside to teach my body how to run, my heart rate went up over 175 and that was for a 1 minute jog.

In Tuesday's run I ran with gratitude, I ran for sweat and sweetness to savor summertime here in Boston and I ran for our teammate.

Nowadays I run for more than the finish line!

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and "Feel the Heal" and "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" are available in Natick Center Cultural District at Paula Romero Dunbar's Celebration Boutique Paper Fiesta coincidentally located on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon Route.

No comments:

Post a Comment