Monday, August 31, 2020

It's Kind of Fun to do The Impossible!: Setting and Achieving Goals



In December of 2006, I was diagnosed with Post Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine standards. I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair and, if I used it I would lose it. Yes you read that right. I was given the advice to conserve my energy and not overuse my already rapidly declining muscles.

I did a review of the literature before writing this blog hoping that, given proven research about neuroplasticity and the power of the mind/body connection along with countless documented case studies of healing and transformation, that perhaps the medical community might have taken a new perspective on Post Polio Syndrome. As recently as 2019, the information and cautionary tales along with a profound lack of research or understanding of the mechanisms of Post Polio Syndrome still exists.

That is why I share my healing story!

On Saturday, while running the Virtual Becca Pizzi 5K, Tom took this photo:


I am sometimes self conscious about photos of me running. My two feet don't fly off the ground and I am not the personification of what one would think of when one thinks of a runner.

But with that photo, my breath caught. I was swept away by how strong my legs looked; especially my left leg.

After a serious knee injury in December of 2014, I briefly returned to Western Medicine to find out what I needed to heal. The MRI indicated shredded cartilage, degenerative osteoarthritis, and an atrophied gastroc (calf) muscle. When the results were reviewed with the physiatrist who specialized in Post Polio Syndrome, he off-handedly said that I'd probably need a total knee replacement in a few years, should stop running or cap my distance at a 5K and that there was nothing we could do about an atrophied gastroc muscle.

After a horrific appointment with a physical therapist, I turned to chiropractic care. My chiropractor revamped my strength training and cross training regimen, used chiropractic care with KT taping and I intensified my mind/body interventions through visualization and meditation. I went on to run 3 Bermuda Half Marathons in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Clearly there WAS something I could do to grow and strengthen a new gastroc muscle. One picture is worth a thousand words!

At the beginning of August, I set a new goal for myself. To run 50 miles during the month of August.

We got up at 6:30 this morning with only 3 miles to go to reach my goal.



We did 3.3 miles bringing my monthly total to 50.52 miles!

My goal for September is to run consistently for 40 miles at the 5K distance and to work on pace, and continuing to up my game with my strength training/cross training workout. While gyms remain closed and opportunities for in person races are on hold, I am using this as an opportunity to continue to do what I was once told was impossible.

After all, as Walt Disney said, "It's kind of fun to do the impossible!"

To learn more and be inspired of how I did "the impossible" going from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond, be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com.

My books are available on Amazon.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment