Sunday, August 16, 2020

New Balance Falmouth Road Race & Falmouth Walk: At Home Edition


While I was waiting for Tom and Ruth Anne to finish their 3 miles for the New Balance Falmouth Road Race At Home Edition, I was scrolling through Facebook. Dave McGillivray posted this video:



Tears streamed down my face. I experienced the sadness that we were not with our friends in Falmouth for race weekend; an experience we have enjoyed on and off for the past 10 years. They were also tears of joy and gratitude that Ruth Anne is healthy for the first time in 3 years able to enjoy summer and running.

Race Report:

We knew that the hot and humid weather had moved out and we woke up to a cloudy cool day for our Virtual Falmouth Walk and Falmouth Road Race At Home Edition. What a blessing that we did not have to get up at 6:00am to beat the heat of the day but I would have loved to get up early to get Ruth Anne and Tom to the Lawrence School to get the bus to the start at Woods Hole.

We did our morning meditation, had breakfast, pinned on our bibs and headed out the door.

Tom and Ruth Anne decided they would like to do the first 4 miles of the 7 miles for the At Home Edition of the Falmouth Road Race with me and they would finish up their 7 miles together. We planned the route last Saturday.

We experienced a lot of emotions during the first mile as we recalled how Ruth Anne was in the hospital last year while Tom and I were in Falmouth but quickly focused on the joy of healing and the miracles of transformation we have each experienced when faced with critical health challenges.

While we missed breathing in the Cape Cod air with its unique scent, and the sights, sounds and excitement of race weekend in Falmouth, we breathed deeply and appreciated the beauty that surrounds us right in our own neighborhood.



We enjoyed the cool breeze, the light drizzle at times and stopping to take photos:


Even though the Falmouth Walk is only 3.2 miles, I set a goal for 50+ miles for the month of August. My Virtual Falmouth Walk was a little over 4 miles. On Facebook, The Falmouth Walk shared our photo and said, "Mary McManus, we love your ingenuity and spirit by combining The Virtual Falmouth Walk with the Falmouth Road Race At-Home Edition! Tommy Leonard would be impressed!" We were blessed to meet Tommy Leonard several years ago at The Quarterdeck Restaurant in Falmouth. A true legend and we were blessed to carry on his vision for the Falmouth Walk and the Falmouth Road Race!



My finish line at our house became their 4 mile hydration station. Tom and Ruth Anne hydrated, refueled and went on their way for one time around the Chestnut Hill Reservoir to complete their 7 miles.

Tom captured this photo of a beautiful swan:


I asked them to text me when they got to the Heath School so I could capture their finish on video:


And I presented them with their medals:


If we would have been in Falmouth, we would have had a splendid array of restaurants to choose from for our post race meal. We did take out and expressed deep gratitude for our post race meal, the gifts of running, health and wellness and being together to enjoy the At Home Editions of the Falmouth Road Race and Falmouth Walk.

Here's to 2021 in Falmouth!

To learn more about my inspiring health and wellness journey, be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

My books are available on Amazon

To your health and wellness!
From my heart to yours
Mary





No comments:

Post a Comment