Monday, March 9, 2020

Love Your Brain!



As so often happens in life, we take so many things for granted until something happens. We often don't think about brain health or loving our brain and can easily take for granted the relatively simple tasks of everyday living...

In today's blog we have a guest blogger ... my daughter Ruth Anne McManus.


Hi everyone! My name is Ruth Anne McManus and over the past 3 years, I endured multiple psychiatric hospitalizations that were, in fact, a result of an untreated Urinary Tract Infection that caused brain inflammation. I live with an autoimmune condition called PANDAS/PANS. As I looked back at my history growing up, I realized that I had this condition after contracting strep and had many ear infections. We finally put the pieces of the puzzle together last August. I am very passionate about my recovery and sharing information with you about how you can love your brain.

According to a USA Today Article, there was a surprising study about the importance and positive effects puzzles have on the brain. Here are the highlights of the benefits of puzzles on brain health:
Lowers chance for Alzheimers
Attention to details increases
Increases problem solving skills
What I think is the best part? Dopamine - the happiness hormone is released every time a puzzle is solved; when the correct piece is put in place.

Here is a list of brain foods to keep that brain healthy from Harvard Health:


-Leafy greens: Research suggests that these foods help to reduce the risk for cognitive decline
-Fatty fish: Omega 3's have been shown to lower the risk for Alzheimer's Disease
-Berries: Help to improve memory and reduce the risk for cognitive decline. They contain Flavanoids. If you are looking for a really sweet way to increase Flavanoids in your diet, check out Flavanaturals. We met the creators of Flavanaturals at the Hyannis Marathon Weekend Expo. We bartered my mom's books for chocolate! It's great as a snack bar or in a smoothie. For extra Flavanoids choose their chocolate bar with blueberries!


-Nuts: Like fatty fish, nuts are high in Omega 3's and increases memory and concentration.
The article also recommends caffeine to improve concentration but I find that for me, the possible benefits are offset by the increase in anxiety I get when I have caffeine in coffee or tea.

I go for weekly Occupational Therapy at Spaulding Rehab.My therapist, Erin, has recommended games and puzzles that help to challenge different areas of functioning in the brain. By the way, Erin is running the Boston Marathon for Spaulding and you can donate to her fundraising page by following this link.

Today I'd like to review ThinkFun's Rush Hour.


This game requires more than logic; it requires patience. I enjoy trying to solve each card's puzzle to get the red car out. If you reach a point where you feel really stuck, there are cards with solutions. The solutions in and of themselves are complex so you won't be given the entire answer to get out of the "traffic jam." My favorite rush hour puzzles are the tougher ones. This game improves cognition, problem solving skills and increases awareness of being present.

Try it! You may not notice a difference or improvement right away, but slowly, you'll experience a shift. I noticed changes in the way I think and feel about myself, with not just Rush Hour, but the other logic games that Erin recommended. I feel more focused, aware and at ease with myself feeling more confident to meet challenges that before were not possible for me.

Thank you for reading!
From my heart to yours,
Ruth Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment