Wednesday, March 4, 2020

A Jamaica Pond Run



Last Wednesday, Ruth Anne and I decided we need to change up our running route. We are eagerly anticipating the reopening of the "Little Reservoir" on Route 9 that has been renovated for the past year. We had been running on Heartbreak Hill, out and back routes on Beacon Street and around the Chestnut Hill Reservoir.

We decided to return to Jamaica Pond where we have many many fond memories of Boston Marathon training.

During one of our training runs in the midst of a brutal New England cold winter, I was inspired to write this poem:

Courage from "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life"

The fear of ice and snow and slush embedded in my soul
a training run in winter - the path to Being whole.
A winter scene - Jamaica Pond - a feast for eyes' delight
to witness nature's splendor and behold this glorious sight.

A leaf - a tiny dancer - skating free without a sound
God's breath directs her movements as She guides her twirling 'round.
Families of ducks decide to walk or take a dip
a comedy of errors into icy water slip.

Branches now bejeweled though bare bend with loving Grace
sparkling diamonds' anchor water's surface hold in place.
God's hand a glove of glistening snow hugs rocks along the wall
their heads peek out reminding me I'm answering God's call.

A scene I'd never witness if I let my fear take hold
courage triumphed, steppin' out with footsteps sure and bold.
Knowing that the pain subsides and Spirit can prevail
the Marathon is beckoning - through those miles I shall sail.


I was inspired to take a photo of those very rocks {minus the snow} during our run around the Pond:


Jamaica Pond's beauty is majestic in every season but I love experiencing the anticipation of Springtime in Boston from its shore:


Ruth Anne and I reminisced about one of our favorite Boston Marathon training stories while we ran {From Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance}:
And who could EVER forget us losing each other around, emphasize the word a-round Jamaica Pond. Tom had stopped at the car to fill up the water bottles and get some snacks. He had his iPod on really loud. I was in the zone and ran by him. I saw him looking for me in the opposite direction and yelled to him that I was over here. I felt so great and the weather was wonderful that I did not want to interrupt my rhythm. Tom thought that since I had to go to the bathroom (and the bathrooms were not open yet) that I went off the trail and went to pee in the woods. We finally caught up with each other and laughed so hard at the irony of losing each other around Jamaica Pond.


As we enjoyed our run and the anticipation of Springtime in Boston, I reflected on the miracle of my Boston Marathon run.

In December of 2006, I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair; that as a survivor of paralytic polio, I would experience a rapid aging process and decline in functioning. I had difficulty with breathing, swallowing, walking and the limp from paralytic polio returned. I experienced chronic pain and fatigue. I hugged the banister to get from the first floor to the second floor of our Cape house. The team at the Post Polio Clinic suggested we adapt our house or move to a ranch. I was told that if I had any hope of stabilizing the symptoms at their current level, I needed to leave my award winning career as a VA social worker 3 years shy of when I was eligible for retirement. My future looked very grim.

I got still and asked for Divine Guidance and a poem flowed out of me called, "Running the Race."

I harnessed the power of the mind/body connection and imagined my life very different from my past that was fraught with disease and violence and created a future very different than the one the doctors predicted for me.

After intensive outpatient rehab at Spaulding Rehab, I was blessed to find a personal trainer who was willing to work with me to see if I could get a little stronger building on my home exercise program from Spaulding.

In February of 2008, when asked what my next health and fitness goals were, we shared in the joy of all that I accomplished in our six months together and planned out what was next. Janine was about ready to leave my house when I said, "Wait! I have one more goal..." Janine put down her things and turned around. "I want to run the Boston Marathon and I want to do it next year for Spaulding Rehab. They have a Race for Rehab Team!" Her response? "Well you're going to need to get a pair of running shoes!"

Ruth Anne and I reminisced about our many training runs with Janine at Jamaica Pond as she pushed us to do speed work and trained our minds along with our bodies as we felt as though our chests would burst when she pushed our pace.

We marveled at how we were able to go from couch to Boston Marathon finish line with sheer grit and determination honoring ourselves and Janine's incredible skill and talent as a personal trainer.

When we faced the 17 degree weather with wind gusts watching our footing as snow and ice seemed to never end during the winter of 2008/2009, I would supplement the warmth from our gear with imagining warm lava flowing throughout my body. I wrote poetry throughout our training visualizing only a successful outcome.

Marathon Metamorphosis

Pounding pavement, feeling strength the journey now begun
training for the race of my life a 26.2 mile run.
Feeling God in every step in every beat of my heart
I undertake this challenge as a new chapter of my life I start.

I ran around in circles carrying baggage by the ton,
destination was survival hardened shell let in no one.
Fear and worry doubts prevailed, adrenaline in my veins
a headless horseman running wild no one to take the reins.

Stopping in my tracks I froze no longer could I move -
clawing, fighting had to cease there was nothing more to prove.
God's grace touched like a magic wand, a softness and a glow
emerging from a troubled past my blood began to flow.

Loving teachers lit the way their love a healing balm -
focusing on who I am now brings a sense of calm.
Stretching every muscle feeling God in every cell
wholeness now a blessing out of prison - no more hell.

The race is still a year away each day my dream I see
mind, body, spirit tuning turning toward the Voice of Thee.
Flexing what had once been stiff to brace against the pain
old habits die and I'm reborn to write a new refrain.

And when the starting gun goes off poised with strength and grace
the thunder of the running feet will help me set my pace.
But the starting line's the finish my race already won
achieving the impossible preparing for this run.

The healing power of self-love and faith to spark the flame
transformed me from a victim once filled with so much shame.
Unearth my buried treasures my inheritance I find
connected to my Loving God in my heart and mind.

And when I cross the finish line the greatest cheer of all
has been this magnificent journey of answering God's call.


Eleven years later we can still feel the joy and triumph of our 2009 Boston Marathon with a run around Jamaica Pond.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com with Healing Resources and Updated News and Events.

My books are available on Amazon








No comments:

Post a Comment