Thursday, April 9, 2020

A #tbt Post to My First Road Race - Born to Run



After the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome in December of 2006, I knew I was at a crossroads in my life. I had no idea that writing the poem, "Running the Race" would foreshadow my 2009 Boston Marathon run nor did I know I would be led to a sport that transformed my life mind, body and soul.

From "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life":
"Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them." -Marcus Aurelius

Born to Run

Born free
born to run
run free
unencumbered untethered unshackled
pouring energy into my running form
liquid gold once fired in the crucible
now my treasure born of my Spirit molded with alchemy
refining
my precious treasure once buried
the map safely tucked away
X marks the spot
a new starting line.

Poised and ready
to go the distance
all out without hesitation
all is healed at last
my pace swift
Mercury and Hermes pace me on winged feet
I AM
born to run
running free
joyfully crossing the finish line with ease.


As I was cleaning today, I came across this photo from my first road race, The Corrib Pub Run 5K in June 2008:


Twelve years later, I still feel the imprint it left on my heart.

From "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":

Corrib Pub Run June 1, 2008

It was a hot and humid day. I had incredible butterflies not knowing what to expect from my first 5K. It was a friendly neighborhood race that accepted all paces. Proceeds from the race benefited neighborhood charities. Before the race we stood next to a couple and struck up a conversation. I learned that it’s a common practice to strike up conversations with strangers at a road race. They were inspired by my story and wished us well as we parted ways at the starting line. I had to pinch myself to realize I, Mary McManus, aka “Easy Out Alper” was toeing the starting line for a road race.

As we ran through the streets of West Roxbury, Tom shouted, “First road race ever. She's a polio survivor!”

People cheered and I ran through the hoses that people sprayed the runners with to keep us cool. I experienced a sense of play and freedom that I’d never known before in my life. Each step was a challenge for me especially the last long hill. I hadn't run for more than 40 continuous minutes in my training program. I had only been running outside since late April. But it didn't matter. I was on the road to the Boston Marathon and this was my first time being cheered rather than jeered as I ran. I had to stop and walk after 40 minutes but once I approached the finisher’s chute, Tom and I held hands sprinting together across my first finish line!


It took me just under an hour to finish the race.

There were still plenty of burgers, beers and fruit on the field when we finished despite my slow pace. Some of the people I met pre-race were there to greet me on the field.

It was my first introduction to the wonderful community of people who are runners.

I am still friends with people that I met on the road to the 2009 Boston Marathon. My village continues to grow as we attend events and races and as I share my incredible journey from having been told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond.



I was born to run and be a part of the running community. It just took me 53 years to arrive there and boy was it well worth the wait!

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

Please be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com to learn more about my incredible journey of transformation from a survivor of paralytic polio to an endurance runner, poet, inspirational speaker and blogger.

My books are available on Amazon.









No comments:

Post a Comment