Sunday, April 26, 2020

To Good Health!



Yesterday was a magnificent Spring Day; the kind of day we New Englanders patiently wait for while Autumn and Winter seasons move through. On a day where the sun is shining, the air is dry and comfortably cool, runners would take to various routes throughout the City. Some might be experiencing the after glow of the Boston Marathon while others eagerly anticipate their turn to toe the starting line at their Spring Marathon. Still others would be maintaining their running base getting ready to gear up for Fall Marathons. Team McManus would head either to South Boston or Wollaston Beach to enjoy the sweet smell of sea air in Springtime and Boston in bloom.

This year everything is different.

Last week I tried to run with a mask on and it created more problems for me than being able to experience all the benefits of what a good run does for me. It was a trauma trigger from childhood experiences and compromised my breathing. I soldiered on through several runs. During my meditations I visualized a 5K course we could run that was spacious and where social distancing would not be an issue.

We knew that the Chestnut Hill Reservoir would be crowded but we love seeing the water. We chose to run around the outside of the Reservoir on Beacon Street. We were debating whether to run up the long hill or go by St. Ignatius Church. Tom works at Boston College and suggested we take a left and run around Campus. Students left Campus in late March and only essential employees remain on staggered shifts. How delicious to breathe in the fragrant Spring air and see Spring in bloom on the campus of my Alma Mater. There was an eerie sense of quiet at a time when there would be students hurrying around Campus getting ready for finals and the electric energy of seniors preparing for graduation.

I focused on our run tuning out the eerie feeling of a campus without students feeling deeply blessed and grateful that I was running free.



From "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life"

"Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them." -Marcus Aurelius

Born to Run

Born free
born to run
run free
unencumbered untethered unshackled
pouring energy into my running form
liquid gold once fired in the crucible
now my treasure born of my Spirit molded with alchemy
refining meo
my precious treasure once buried
the map safely tucked away
X marks the spot
a new starting line.

Poised and ready
to go the distance
all out without hesitation
all is healed at last
my pace swift
Mercury and Hermes pace me on winged feet
I AM
born to run
running free
joyfully crossing the finish line with ease.


I have worked so hard in these last 13 years to heal the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. Running has been my therapy for mind, body and soul. I know this time of stay at home orders and a pandemic has taken a toll on so many creating physical, emotional, spiritual and financial hardships. I know what it's like to be challenged with a life threatening condition, be exposed to severe traumatic events, go through bankruptcy with my family of origin and experience financial hardship during the last recession.

I've learned how to create what I want and need in my life through the power of visualization harnessing the power of the mind/body connection and how to find a path to thrive during challenging situations.

During these times I am focused on good health mind, body and soul and find creative ways to keep moving forward.

Here's to your good health!

Be sure to visit my website to learn more about my inspirational journey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the Boston Marathon and beyond!

My books are available on Amazon.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
With love and peace
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment