Friday, April 24, 2020

Delight in All Seasons



It can be a challenge to remember that our natural state is joy when the state of the world is as it is right now. I find that especially during challenging times it is vital to feel joy. Shortly after I was diagnosed with Post Polio Syndrome in December of 2006, I discovered the gift of poetry in my soul and the portal to joy and healing opened despite all appearances to the contrary. My body was in a deconditioned state and I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, that I needed to quit my award winning career as a VA social worker if I had any hope of stabilizing symptoms of the progressive neuromuscular disease where they were. As I had when facing challenges all my life (and believe me they were formidable odds with having contracted paralytic polio and enduring years of abuse at the hands of family members), I got still and asked for Divine Guidance. That's when I wrote the poem, "Running the Race."

I had taken a hiatus from writing poetry until this recent global crisis and I am once again experiencing joy through the power of my pen and my imagination.

I am also making sure I experience joy even though we have a stay at home order and life has been turned upside down.

This morning I went on a walk with my daughter who lives with us. Despite the rain and a grey morning, I stopped to take a photo of the beautiful flowers:


We experienced the joy of raindrops and birds singing loud and clear despite the weather!

I was inspired to write this poem yesterday reflecting on experiences that bring a feeling of joy:
Delight in All Seasons

As light as a feather on summer’s breeze
whimsical face
wishing on a dandelion seed.

Delight in simple pleasures
release all pressures to do
play and just be.

Chasing butterflies in flight
a kaleidoscope of colors
lands lightly winning the race.

Cocked head with curiosity
as light dances on gentle waves
seagulls swoop and soar
dancing on air.

Hold on tightly
kite in flight
smiling squinting eyes as it dips and dives.

Fallen angels in snow
flapping arms
laughing with glee.

Piles of dried leaves
jump in with both feet
rustling oranges and browns total joy.

Whatever your age
be sure to
delight in all seasons of your life.


What brings you joy and a sense of freedom and delight?

Be sure to visit my website to learn more about my inspirational journey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the Boston Marathon and beyond!

My books are available on Amazon.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
With love and peace
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment