Friday, April 17, 2020

Boston Marathon Memory Musings





Monday marks the 11th anniversary of my journey from Hopkinton to Boston with my husband and daughter by my side. It began on a dark, cold day in February of 2007, two months after receiving the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease. I faced a grim future according to Western Medicine; a future in which I would experience an accelerated decline as the years went by possibly needing a feeding tube and needing to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. I was told I needed to quit my award winning career as a VA social worker just 3 years shy of when I was eligible for retirement by my age and time in service. I went back into a toe up leg brace, used a cane and at times a wheelchair for mobility.


I got still and asked for Divine Guidance. The poem, 'Running the Race' poured out of me followed by many many many poems in which I imagined myself feeling healthy, whole and running free although I had never run a day in my life. While writing poetry harnessing the power of the mind/body connection through the power of my imagination, I was working with Allison Lamarre-Poole, a physical therapist (now in private practice) at Spaulding Rehab Hospital. She made it abundantly clear to me that I could and would get stronger and was NOT destined to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. I worked with her for 6 months three times a week while preparing to leave the VA. She inspired me to take that leap of faith and heal my life.

I was blessed to meet a personal trainer, Janine Hightower, in October of 2007. When I asked her if she thought we could build on the program that Allison prescribed for me, she shared this Henry Ford quote with me:


After only 6 months of working with her and just beginning to come out of my leg brace, we had the following conversation from "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":

At my six-month evaluation in February, I made dramatic improvements in every area of the assessment. I had come out of my leg brace. I knew I was on a healing path.

“Let’s write down your goals for the next six months,” Janine said feeling proud and satisfied with my progress.

“Well I want to feel free in my body. I want to dance. I want to be able to walk outside and feel unencumbered when I take a walk.”

Janine feverishly wrote down my goals, and we worked out a plan. She gathered up her belongings and had her hand on the door knob.

“Wait. I have one more goal.”

Janine stopped and turned around.

“I want to run the Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab Hospital. I know they have a Race for Rehab team and I want to do it next year.”

Did you ever have one of those moments when words fell out of your mouth after rising up from the depths of your soul without going through any thought process?

Janine was non-plussed. I don’t know what kept her from turning tail and getting as far away from me as she could. She came back into my house, set down her things and without missing a beat said, “Well the first thing you are going to need is a pair of running shoes.”


And so it came to pass on April 20, 2009, the 113th running of the Boston Marathon. I experienced the adventure of a lifetime while out on the course for 7 hours and 49 minutes. I was blessed to have Johannes Hirn, a graduate photojournalism student at Boston University take exquisite photos of us from start to finish.

Here are a few of my favorite moments...

At the start in Hopkinton:



Team photo with Spaulding's Race for Rehab... Team McManus raised over $10,000 for Spaulding!


Friendships forged for a lifetime!

Here is Team McManus coming down Boylston Street while Ruth Anne encourages the spectators to cheer us on to the finish:


It was a moment I visualized time and time again during our training runs and during my meditations but I could not possibly imagine what it would feel like to experience the joy, love and compassion of a finish line volunteer as he took off the chip on my shoe helping me keep my balance:


crying as I told him the Twitter version of my story and what it would feel like to have him place the coveted Boston Marathon medal around my neck:


My Facebook feed is filled with Boston Marathon memories. There's a sense of longing and sadness that Monday will not be the running of the 124th Boston Marathon. We are a community that is Boston Strong and we will rise and run again on September 14th. It will be an epic experience for runners and spectators alike but for now I will continue to relish and share my Boston Marathon memories from April 20 of 2009.

Ode to Marathon Training from "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life":

Blisters, black toes, aches and pains, a change in my routine
Long training runs, the hills, the sprints running clothes fresh and clean.
Carbo load and plan each meal power gels and gatorade
no matter what the weather no time to be afraid.
Humid - hot or freezing cold snow against the face
wind or sun or raining those running shoes I must lace.
What mile is this how long we been out check heart rate drink H20
meltdowns joys and triumphs only a few more weeks to go.
Heartbreak Hill won't break my heart this year has been the best
found myself and made new friends I feel incredibly blessed.


To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website to learn more about my inspirational journey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the Boston Marathon and beyond!

My books are available on Amazon.



No comments:

Post a Comment