Friday, April 10, 2020

Hope and Love Are Four Letter Words



At times I noticed that I was feeling the crushing pain of what is happening in the world right now. I know that I am not being helpful to myself or the world around me when I feel the weight of the world bearing down on me. During my meditations, I have been sorting and sifting through memories of trauma that have been triggered by current events and I have been transcending and transforming these experiences along with navigating these uncharted waters of circumstance we find ourselves in.

One meditation that I now use in the morning is this one from Anita Moorjani:


I started writing poetry again after a two year hiatus during which time I focused on finishing my Trilogy of Transformation.

After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, I got still and asked for Divine Guidance. It were as though a spigot was turned on and poetry poured out of me in which I imagined myself healthy, whole and running free even though at that time I sat in a leg brace and was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair never having run a day in my life.

I am creating Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems Volume 2.

After Anita's meditation and posts from my Australian Facebook friend Sarah Baron, I was inspired to write this poem:
The Smile

Wherever there's a smile only Love can be
slightly upturned corners feeling happiness and free.
Frowns and furrowed brows might seem the order of the day
smiles from a grateful heart will always light the way.
Ignite imagination’s spark as joyous thoughts run wild
Divinity surrounding knowing we're beloved child.
Guardian angels surrounding whisk away all fear
smiling feel their presence holding in their palms so dear.
Smiles love beams permeate celebration rings out loud
joy-ning hearts together hugs surrounding in a crowd.
Smile as the vision of our future now takes hold
seeing beyond appearances a move that's brave and bold.
Smile faith and confidence solution's here and now
as worries take their exit with a stunning final bow.
Hope's rainbow is uplifting wondrous miracles abound
smiling from an open heart all is well is found.


Sarah shared the poem with this photo that captures the unbridled joy and knowing smile I captured in the poem;


From Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life:
Love is a Four Letter Word

Love is a four letter word
I swear by its healing power
as it pulses and courses through the river of my veins
unstoppable
watering everything in its wake
the garden of my soul.

Love is a four letter word
I bear witness
bare my soul
a breath of fresh air when love
enters a room
love ignites
delights
purges the past
forges the present
a force to be reckoned with
reconciles
unveiling
revealing.

Truth is
I am love
only love
pure and innocent
from Love
Perfection.

Love is a four letter word
the bridge
heaven on earth
all the elements I need to heal
living life as only I can
grateful to be a love.


Growing up after contracting paralytic polio at the age of 5 in a household with an alcoholic father and a drug addicted mother, I became accustomed to feeling fear throughout my being. Yet I also learned how to be resilient, trust that things were going to get better and hold hope and love alive in my heart.

I know how blessed we are during this crisis. Tom works from home 4 days a week and goes in one day a week to provide necessary on site coverage to ensure that students, faculty and staff have uninterrupted computer access at Boston College. Even though Ruth Anne does not have appointments with her OT and the referral for a therapist is on hold, she maintains regular communication with her OT, her case manager at Commonwealth Care Alliance and is working very hard at continuing with her recovery. As I mentioned above, I was experiencing a mini resurgence of trauma symptoms and some physical sensations related to Post Polio issues but am using this time of retreat as a time to heal.

We take a lot of time for meditation, hydration, exercise and are doing the best we can with maintaining good nutrition. We also feed ourselves well on Dharma Talks, podcasts, limit news exposure and practice random acts of kindness staying connected with like hearted people sending out compassion and love to our world.

It takes a lot of courage and strength to open one's heart and not contract in fear. Throughout my life which at times has been fraught with trauma and illness, I have held onto hope and love and hope you will do the same.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website to learn more about my inspirational journey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the Boston Marathon and beyond!

My books are available on Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment