Thursday, May 2, 2019

The Becca Pizzi 5K and 1 Mile Kids Run



I have not toed a starting line for a race since the Bermuda Half Marathon in 2018. I needed time to heal after training for and running 3 Half Marathons. In December of 2014, I blew out my left knee and was told to prepare for a total knee replacement. I should stop running or at the very least cap my distance. Instead I sought out paths for healing and healed my left knee without surgery through chiropractic care, visualization and a new cross training program. I went on to run Bermuda three times over.

I was content to work out "just for the health of it" and allow my body time to recover, continuing to heal the effects from paralytic polio and trauma.

I was proud and extremely satisfied with my consistent record of working out 5 days a week since Bermuda 2018. We ran two Virtual 5K's; one in our own neighborhood and one on a treadmill.

But then I got the itch to be a part of a race again. I signed up for the Finish at the 50 5K.

This week I incorporated 3 runs into my training schedule. On Monday, I pushed my pace taking on two imaginary competitors running at a slow pace in front of me. I was very mindful, however, to not risk an injury and reined in my pace when they were out of reach.

It was ironic that I was simulating a race day with Monday's run. We'd been doing a lot of hill training getting ready for the ramps at Gillette. Running on a flat surface around the Reservoir after the hill training ignited that competitive edge within me ...



Imagine my surprise at the synchronicity in my life when Scott Middlemiss {Run With Your Heart-All You Need is Love} tagged me in a post Tuesday evening:
Kate Daigle Middlemiss and I are all signed up for the The Becca Pizzi 5k and kids 1 mile Run this Sunday! Becca Pizzi has been very supportive of our family and The Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation for many years. I am hoping that a contingent from JMBHF's Team BIG HEART can help us show the same support for her! Who is in?



The Becca Pizzi 5K
Belmont, MA
Race Day – Sunday May 5th, 2019
The Becca Pizzi 5K road race celebrates Becca as a Two Time World Marathon Challenge Champion. In 2018, Becca conquered the World Marathon Challenge again…7 Marathons, 7 Continents, 7 Days. Repeating her 2016 victory, Becca impressively crossed the finish line setting another World Record!

Becca is a Belmont native and proudly remembers her early running days at Belmont High School. As a result, Becca is dedicated to giving back to the community that supported and influenced her. All race proceeds benefit Belmont High student/athlete scholarships and the BHS athletic programs.


Once Becca confirmed that there is no time limit, walkers are welcome and it is an all pace friendly race, Tom and I signed up.

I have followed Becca's illustrious career and heard her speak on different occasions. I know how vital it is for youth to have athletics in their lives especially competitive sports. I love how the sport of running gives back and pays it forward through races, and through running as a charity runner.

We just had to say yes to Becca, Scott and Team Big Heart.

The weather is not looking ideal for race day but that doesn't matter. {Besides trying to forecast weather in New England is not an exact science by any stretch of the imagination!} Tom and I will be surrounded by our village that always brings sunshine and joy into our lives. You can't help but feel warmth and love watching kids run.

There is still time to register by following this link.

It's going to be a fun, fast, flat course supporting a great cause with a fabulous running community.

Join Team Big Heart and a community of big hearted runners on Sunday, and then you'll be able to say, "Um I don't exactly know what happened but I just signed up for another race!"

From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and at Paper Fiesta in Natick on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon route.






No comments:

Post a Comment