Saturday, May 4, 2019

Reflections on Race Directors



I set out on a mission to do the impossible. In December of 2006, I was told I "had" a progressive neuromuscular disease and I should prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. I refused to take the diagnosis sitting down after I had endured a bout of depression and anxiety. I got still, asked for Divine Guidance and poetry poured out of me visualizing myself as healthy, whole, healed and free in my body and yes, even Running the Race!

After 6 months of intensive outpatient rehab followed by 6 months of working with a personal trainer, I declared that I was going to run the 2009 Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab as part of their Race for Rehab Team!

The first Race Director I encountered was Paul Collyer. We were getting ready to run the Hyannis Half Marathon in February of 2009. I emailed him, told him about my challenges and asked him if it would be okay for me to participate in his race. He welcomed me as part of the field of participants letting me know that as long as I finished before the last marathoner, I'd be fine. The Hyannis Half was one loop of the full marathon and used the same starting and finish line.

I met Alain (that's Alain with an 'i') Ferry when I volunteered at the Runners World Classic Weekend. He was also the Race Director for the OneRun where runners and anyone affected by the events of 4/15/13 could reclaim the last mile of the 2013 Boston Marathon. He willed me to a PR and gathered a crowd to cheer me on to the finish at the Bill Rodgers 5K to Benefit Prostate Cancer.



He told me he would always have my back at a race when pre-race jitters took hold before the Spectacle Island 5K and 5 mile race; a challenging trail run on Boston Harbor's Spectacle Island. "If it were easy everyone would do it," he told me in an email. He went on to say that he knew I would crush it!

I first saw Dave McGillivray at the starting line of the 2009 Boston Marathon. In April 2014, he spoke at L Street Running Club. I stood next to him with a copy of his book "Last Pick" briefly told him my story and asked if he would sign my book. He signed it, "Set goals. Not limits". We became friends through the years and he has always been accessible if I have a question about a race he directs. We've exchanged some wonderful quips in our emails. I was a little anxious about signing up for this year's Finish at the 50 5K but he reassured me there is no time limit for the 5K and told me many people walk it to experience the finish on the 50 at the field at Gillette Stadium.

Dave wrote a book review for "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":
“A most unlikely runner stood to my right as I gave the oral command for the mobility impaired start of the 113th Boston Marathon on April 20, 2009. That most unlikely runner was Mary McManus. She overcame the childhood challenges of paralytic polio and years of childhood trauma to become a runner at the age of 53 years old and take on the challenge of the Boston Marathon at 55 years old. In “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” you’ll be inspired as I have been by her courage, resilience and determination to overcome whatever obstacles life put in her path. Mary’s life story set against the backdrop of running in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” will leave you asking the question, “If Mary was able to accomplish all that in the face of seemingly overwhelming odds, what’s stopping me from being the best I can be?” Dave McGillivray Race Director – B.A.A. Boston Marathon

Anthony Raynor, Race Director of the Bermuda Marathon Weekend had me at hello at my comeback race in July 2015 after a serious knee injury. I decided once again to do the impossible and heal my knee injury without surgery and to set goals not limits! From "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":

Anthony Raynor and Clarence Smith had me at hello at the Bermuda Marathon Weekend Booth at the Finish at the 50 Expo. Tom started chatting with Clarence "Stoker" Smith. I hung back but cocked an ear to the conversation. I gingerly eyed the pink Bermuda wrist bands, the bling from Bermuda Marathon Weekend races and the samples of pink sand. I glanced at Tom and felt we each had a tug at our souls. The tug got stronger with each moment we talked with Clarence and Anthony. We reminisced about when we went to Bermuda. I felt goosebumps and a warm feeling come over me, while a part of me was wondering why was I even having this conversation about running in Bermuda. Several months ago I was told to cap my distance and prepare for a total knee replacement.

“If you can get up to the Half Marathon distance, you’ll be better off than running the 10K with all of its steep hills,” Anthony said in his delicious Bermudian accent.

“The last time I was in Bermuda I was in a leg brace using a cane and a wheelchair.”

Clarence's wife said, "Look at you now girl."

There was no stopping me now. We exchanged information. Clarence told us he'd pick us up at the airport. I chatted with Anthony about the weather in January.

"Look," he said with a deep warm laugh, "I was told you people still have piles of snow near the Seaport Hotel from this past winter. I can guarantee you this. You will have no snow in Bermuda in January."


After I ran Bermuda in 2017 and had a difficult time out on the course, Anthony sought me out at the Boston Marathon Expo in April to offer me an invitational entry to his race! How could I possibly refuse?

The Dedication and Acknowledgements from "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":

This book is lovingly dedicated to:

My husband Tom who has been by my side stride for stride for over 40 years. Here’s to many many more adventures to come….

The earth angels who brought a touch of grace to my life and helped me to overcome my challenges.

My village who embrace me and surround me with unconditional love cheering me on to go the distance on the roads and in my life.

To anyone who was given a diagnosis and told what their limits would be….Remember you are not your diagnosis…You have the power within you to heal!

With deepest gratitude to Anthony Raynor for giving me an invitational entry to the Bermuda Half Marathon 2018. It gave me the opportunity of a lifetime to know that I am healthy, whole and healed.

Thank you to Race Directors Dave McGillivray, Paulie Collyer and Alain Ferry for giving me the opportunity to run my race at my pace.

Thank you to all the mind/body luminaries who lit the spark that led me out of the dark night of my mind, body and soul and led me into the light of how life is meant to be lived.


I know there are races where there are time limits and I respect those limits for myself, other runners and the Race Directors.

But when a Race Director says that all paces are welcome and embraces my journey, encouraging me to be a part of a race where I can challenge myself, it's a gift that I treasure. Recently, I reached out to Becca Pizzi, Race Director for the Becca Pizzi 5K and 1 Mile Kids Race happening tomorrow. She has been incredibly welcoming and supportive of me being a part of the field.

And while I receive a wonderful gift being part of a road race, a far cry from the days of "Easy Out Alper", I also bring a gift to the races I participate in. I am doing the impossible, having defied the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome and, at the age of 65 years old, showing up at a starting line and being my personal best.



From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and at Paper Fiesta in Natick on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon route.

No comments:

Post a Comment