Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Twelve Years Later: Security is a Superstition



We had a Bermudaful sunrise on May 25, 2019.


Twelve years ago I sat in a lawn chair in a toe up leg brace


after I went through the process of 'clearing out' from the Boston VA Healthcare System where I worked for almost 20 years and had an award winning career as a VA social worker.

I remember it was a beautiful sunny day and I asked myself the question, "What had I just done?"

I walked away from a career that paid handsomely but no longer fueled my heart and soul. I needed to heal my life. I didn't have any plan for what was next. I just knew in every fiber of my being I had to make serious changes in my life or I wasn't going to have a life.

I would ask that question on many occasions during my twelve year healing odyssey.

Yet every time I asked that question, the Universe would answer with "You've taken another risk; another leap of faith." Every time I did I found myself inspiring others stepping deeper and deeper into the passion and purpose for my life after the VA.

As we dressed for our 5K run in Bermuda to celebrate twelve years of healing, the birds sang outside our window at the Royal Palms Hotel as if they were celebrating with us.

We wore our Team Big Heart shirts as Tom is running the Falmouth Road Race to fund raise for the Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation. It's so much fun to run "Middlemiss Miles" and spread the word about Joseph's amazing 6 years with us and how his legacy of love, joy and kindness lives on.

We set out early so we could get back and enjoy the hotel's complimentary continental breakfast. We filled up our water bottles and headed to Front Street running a part of the Bermuda Half Marathon course. We ran through a charming neighborhood from the Hotel to Front Street:


It was a nostalgic run as Tom and I reminisced about how we came to fall in love with Bermuda. From "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":

Have you ever been to Bermuda?" Herb Simmons asked me as I was helping him put together a photo album to write the story of the Sea and Surf Anglers Club of Boston and the Blue Waters Anglers Club of Bermuda.

Herb was the first person of color to be named Chief of Pharmacy at Boston City Hospital when, at the age of 49, he suffered a massive stroke. Initially he was totally blind and then regained some vision. He could see with his eyes but had difficulty processing what he saw as a result of the stroke. I was the Visual Impairment Services Team Coordinator charged with providing social work intervention to the visually impaired veterans at the VA. Herb made it very clear from the beginning he did not want to be a patient. He quickly transitioned from patient to invaluable volunteer. Through the Telefriend Program, Herb kept in touch with other legally blind veterans who were housebound, elderly veterans and veterans considered at risk due to their mental health diagnoses. Together we were blessed to literally save lives. I told Herb we had never been to Bermuda; we hadn't been on a vacation since the twins were born 12 years ago in 1987. He told me we must go to Bermuda for our first after twins vacation. We would take care of the airfare and our stay at the Grotto Bay, a family friendly resort, and he would make sure that his Bermudian friend and fellow angler, Lovintz Cann would be our host.

Lovintz picked us up at the airport and drove us a short distance to the Grotto Bay.

“Enjoy your evening and tomorrow morning at 10:00 am I’ll be here to take you on a tour of the Island and out to lunch. Welcome to Bermuda!”


We ran past the Blue Waters Anglers Club where we spent many happy moments waiting for the boats to come in and being a part of Tournament Weekend as the Sea and Surf Anglers Club of Boston fished against the Blue Waters. The Blue Waters Anglers Club almost always won on their home "surf".



The scenery on our run was spectacular:


After a delicious breakfast, we spent the day by the pool relaxing, reading and soaking up the sunshine.

Twelve years later we showered and dressed for a celebratory dinner at Flanagan's.

We had a table reserved on their patio and a server who truly enjoyed her work.


We had a hummus plate and fish chowder for appetizers:


Tom indulged in a Dark 'n Stormy:


When we couldn't decide on what we were going to eat, our server asked us what we were considering and then suggested we get one catch of the day and one Cottage Pie and share. The catch of the day was Wahoo!



We held hands as we walked leisurely back to the hotel; a walk that would have been nearly impossible for me 12 years ago.

While many thought I was crazy to have done what I did, I'm with Helen Keller's belief that security doesn't exist and so I transformed my life into a daring adventure. Twelve years later I am so happy with the choice I made.

From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and at Paper Fiesta in Natick on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon route. Proceeds of book sales for May through July are going to Tom McManus's Falmouth Road Race run for the Joseph Middlemiss Big Heart Foundation. You can also make a direct donation by following this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment