Tuesday, June 16, 2020

A Wonderful Winning Wednesday Run: Reflections on Contentment



On Wednesday mornings we get up and go out for a run before breakfast. It's a beautiful time of the day to feel fresh air and sunshine and get moving to wake up and create a wonderful day.

Last Monday was a challenging day which we were able to get through with strength, resilience and team work. I felt the newness of opportunity and possibility when Wednesday morning arrived. Tom works in his office on Wednesdays so can't join us on these runs but it is special mother/daughter time together.

We set out at an easy pace going twice around the newly renovated Route 9 Reservoir. We reflected on what had happened on Monday, Ruth Anne's journey of the past 4 years and the joy of moving forward in her life. It was a gratitude run during which we felt deep gratitude for the wonderful providers we have to support Ruth Anne's wellness and how, despite the odds, we never gave up!

We talked about transformation and change that was happening in the world in the wake of the pandemic and events happening in the world.

We paused to take photos and savor the beauty of the morning:




We did a little extra mileage for a total of 3.4 miles. When we arrived home, besides feeling the flood of endorphins that happens after a good run, I felt my heart swell with contentment.

We prepared breakfast and took it on a tray into our yard savoring cold OJ, toast, bananas and cereal.

I reflected on our blessings and allowed a sense of contentment to wash over me and wash away and heal the past 4 years of pain, struggle and suffering as Ruth Anne endured multiple hospitalizations with no clear diagnosis. She endured medication trials that were harmful and had become conditioned to "illness."

But now illness is being transformed into wellness. I know that journey well as during these past 13 years I healed the once ravaging effects of paralytic polio and trauma.

A morning run, great conversation, a delicious breakfast in the sunshine and journeys from illness to wellness...my heart is full and grateful overflowing with contentment for all that is here and now!

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com to be inspired by my healing quest from being told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond!

My books are available on Amazon.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment