Sunday, June 21, 2020

Race Report: The 2020 Virtual Falmouth Education 5K




I am a back of the pack runner yet, as Tom likes to say, For someone who was supposed to be in a wheelchair, you run pretty fast!” I have been so blessed that Race Directors welcome me to join their races when it is an all pace friendly race that includes walkers for my full on effort as a runner is most people’s walking pace. Yet I love showing up and opening up my body on race day to see what this body can do.

We planned to have a Father’s Day/Falmouth Education 5K race-cation on Cape Cod this year but then along came this pandemic which changed things up. We were, up until a few weeks ago still planning to go to Falmouth and doing the Virtual Race but it just didn’t feel right with all the ongoing restrictions so we pivoted to a stay-cation.

Yesterday we went out and marked the course for our Virtual 5K. We walked at a very easy pace and enjoyed being in nature kicking off Tom’s much deserved vacation.

I froze water bottles knowing it was going to be a hot day and mentally prepared myself to get into the mindset of racing.

We set alarms for 6:30 am and when they went off said ‘Happy Race Day!’

We had our breakfast after meditation, stretched, strapped on our water belts, experienced the joy of pinning on a race bib, and headed to the Virtual Starting Line that we scoped out on Saturday. The Race Directors for the Virtual Falmouth Education 5K Run/Walk put a video on their page with a Mashpee student singing the National Anthem. The theme for the day was together while apart.

We took our traditional pre-race selfie and off we went on our Virtual 5K knowing there was a community of runners coming together for a great cause (Falmouth Education) participating in a day of fitness and fun.



While we were unable to run along Falmouth Heights Beach and experience the scenery of Olde Cape Cod, we savored the beauty of the Reservoir while I pushed my pace.

We did stop to take photos and feel the connection to Nature and all that is.



We made sure to hydrate, run in the shade whenever possible, douse ourselves with ice water and express our deep gratitude for the day, being together and wonderful journeys of health and wellness for Ruth Anne and myself and for us as a family after the trauma of the past 4 years.

We imagined runners ahead of us and behind us while running our own race. There was pure joy in feeling the thrill of race day. I am blessed with a powerful imagination that carries me through life and enables me to experience the joys of the present moment even though it might not be what we had planned.

We pushed the pace with Ruth Anne encouraging me to use Deena Kastor’s technique of “reel it in” and we finished strong with negative splits feeling the satisfaction of a race well run; even more remarkable given the heat and that I had done a 5K walk yesterday to mark the course.



I’ve been working on improving my pace after the pandemic took its toll and feel uplifted and encouraged by today’s performance. It was fun to see photos posted by others who participated in the Virtual Run on their Facebook page and exchange conversations with friends we know and runners we have yet to meet.

Today’s run celebrated resilience, the ability to pivot when faced with challenges and finding joy and gratitude along the way.

We are hopeful that this was the 1st and last ever Virtual Falmouth Education 5K but whether we race together yet apart or in person, one thing is for sure, our love and passion for the sport always finds its way to prevail.

To learn more about my journey from being told I should prepare to spend the rest of my life in wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond, be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

My books are available on Amazon.

From my heart to yours
To your health and wellness
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment