Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Conquering Fear, Limitations and Heartbreak Hill



After the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease in December of 2006, I experienced angst and fear. I moved into feeling really pissed before settling into getting still and asking for Divine Guidance.

Through writing poetry, I imagined a life for me in which I was running free, feeling healthy, whole and free from the shackles of my past.

In February of 2008, I declared to my personal trainer that I was going to run the 2009 Boston Marathon.

From "Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":
At my six-month evaluation in February, I made dramatic improvements in every area of the assessment. I had come out of my leg brace. I knew I was on a healing path.

“Let’s write down your goals for the next six months,” Janine said feeling proud and satisfied with my progress.

“Well I want to feel free in my body. I want to dance. I want to be able to walk outside and feel unencumbered when I take a walk.”

Janine feverishly wrote down my goals, and we worked out a plan. She gathered up her belongings and had her hand on the door knob.

“Wait. I have one more goal.”

Janine stopped and turned around.

“I want to run the Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab Hospital. I know they have a Race for Rehab team and I want to do it next year.”

Did you ever have one of those moments when words fell out of your mouth after rising up from the depths of your soul without going through any thought process?

Janine was non-plussed. I don’t know what kept her from turning tail and getting as far away from me as she could. She came back into my house, set down her things and without missing a beat said, “Well the first thing you are going to need is a pair of running shoes.”

She laid out a cursory training plan and said that we would begin indoors to build up my cardio endurance. As soon as the weather got a little warmer, we’d go outdoors and I would learn how to run.

What had I just done?


I had just set out to conquer fears and old beliefs about myself as a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma and conquer the hills of Newton.

Last December, Bill Rodgers signed this photo for me when we were at bib pick up for the Jingle Bell 5K:



"Mary...You conquered the Boston Marathon Newton Hills for Spaulding."

He embraced my journey with his heart and me with his arms and together, we rocked the stage at the Hyannis Marathon Weekend Pre-Race Pasta Dinner:


I am so blessed to ignite the hearts and souls of others as I continue to share my journey from being told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond!

It's quite remarkable and miraculous when we conquer our fears and move out of self limiting beliefs to achieve goals we once thought impossible; such as conquering the Newton Hills and running 26.2 miles from Hopkinton to Boston.

To learn more about this incredible journey, be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

My books are available on Amazon.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
Mary




No comments:

Post a Comment