Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Running is Such a Monastery



Running serves many different purposes in my life besides the obvious one as enjoyable exercise. Since I discovered the sport at the age of 53, running has become a way of life. It is my therapy, my village (even when we have to run together apart), my challenge, my friend, a reason to get up in the morning, a reason to smile. It's been my solitude, a time in nature and, as George Sheehan said, my monastery as happened on Monday's run.

There have been so many shifts and changes happening in the world around us. One can get pulled into the vortex of information overload, withdraw and let the world go by or find a middle path to navigate life holding steady in the midst of chaos that is leading to change.

Monday's run evolved into a contemplative run. We took no selfies, connected with nature and chatted about current events. The current of life changed when we were told to stay at home, wash our hands and wear face masks. The current of life shifted after the horrific death of George Floyd. The current shifted for our youth as it shifted for my now 32 year old twins after 9/11. We talked about our reflections while also having quiet time on our run as we took time in solitude to process these past 3 months in quarantine.



I reflected on what it was like to live through the polio epidemic and contract polio at the age of 5. While I contracted paralytic polio at the end of the epidemic because a vaccine had been developed, there were still residuals of fear and contagion. I was blessed to have an earth angel of a physical therapist and physiatrist who tempered the impact of the violence I experienced at home with an alcoholic father, a drug addicted mother and a grandmother who subjected me to torture rituals.

In December of 2006, the years of trauma and residuals from paralytic polio that went unaddressed in my mind/body finally caught up with me. I was given the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome and joined the ranks of many middle-aged polio survivors who were being given that diagnosis. At the time, Western Medicine believed that if you used it you would lose it because of the damage done to the neuromuscular connections from the initial polio virus. I was at the height of my award winning social work career but knew I was at a crossroads in my life. Shortly after the diagnosis, I discovered the gift of poetry in my soul that led me to the sport of running.

Running transformed my life!

Running healed the wounds of the past as the last pick in gym class and all the taunts and jeers from peers and the wounds of violence. On Monday's run, I sent out love and healing to all who have known violence and tapped into a deep feeling of hope. I believe in the power of change, the power of transformation and despite all I've lived through, the basic goodness and kindness in humanity.

When I feel happy and grateful, running increases the joyful feelings. When I feel lethargic with the weight of the world on my shoulders, running uplifts my heart and soul. When we need to unplug and have meaningful conversations, we head out for a run. When our hearts ache for injustice and witnessing man's humanity to man, a good run eases the ache.

Running is such a monastery where I connect to all that is sacred and good in myself and the world.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
Mary

To learn more about how I came to the sport of running after being told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

My books are available on Amazon





No comments:

Post a Comment