Sunday, June 28, 2020

Focus on the Healing...



Thirteen years ago I set out on a healing odyssey after being given the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease. I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair and instead, I discovered the power of the mind/body connection and harnessed my imagination and visualization for a different outcome through writing poetry. I wrote poetry that created a new future and healed my past.

One of my favorite poems from "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poetry to Heal Your Life" is:

Focus on the Healing

Focus on the healing not on the wound
at first blush imperceptible changes
like the first peak at the crocus breaking ground
we can only imagine
what flower will emerge after the darkness of winter…

I had a dream last night
terror filled my body in the darkness
my father the intruder
thunder and lightning filled the room
crashing around me

“I never wanted to harm you”

Hyperventilation slows into steady breath
no longer raw and weary from the fight
wounds bound
roots grounded
peace descends
Spirit soars
only the trace of a scar remains
a reminder of the miracle of my life.


I continue to heal as healing is a journey not a destination.

I have a choice of where I focus my attention and I choose to focus my attention on all the healing I have experienced through these past 13 years mind, body and soul.

My body has transformed from a deconditioned survivor of paralytic polio and trauma to an endurance runner.

I ran the 2009 Boston Marathon, 3 Bermuda Half Marathons and many races since my running career began in February of 2008.

The mettle that was tested is in my collection of medals that reflect the healing I experienced despite the hardships (or maybe because of the hardships) I endured.

I continue to focus on the healing through a practice of gratitude thanking my body for all the healing that has happened and feeling excited for all the healing that continues as I add years to my age.

An orthopedic resident taught me an invaluable lesson many years ago after reconstructive leg surgery. She told me how the body heals from the inside out and that while initially you want to protect wounds from getting infected, you want to expose the wounds to air to facilitate healing!

During my healing odyssey, I let my wounds come to the surface and my natural state of well being to flow.

By focusing on the healing, rather than the wounds, I invited the Love of the Divine to bathe those wounds. I now send a powerful message of healing, hope and possibilities encouraging others to remember you are not your diagnosis and to focus on the healing...not on the wound!

To learn more about my journey from illness to wellness, visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

My books are available on Amazon.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
Mary








No comments:

Post a Comment