Friday, June 5, 2020

Hope-Light Prevails



Ever since I began my healing quest 13 years ago from the effects of contracting paralytic polio at the age of 5 and then enduring years of abuse at the hands of family members, my message was one of healing, hope and possibility. I did not know if I was going to survive my childhood and adolescent years with a raging alcoholic father, a drug addicted mother and a grandmother who subjected me to torture rituals. Yet day after day, year after year I kept hope alive. That hope had its origins in an out of body experience I had when I lay paralyzed on the couch as my mother smoked a cigarette and was unable to care for me. I often say she was more paralyzed than I was. I felt the presence of my guardian angel and chose to return to my physical body.

I honed my intellect and became high school valedictorian. I received scholarships and worked my way through Boston University as a work study student. I struggled and I searched trying to find my passion and purpose in life.

At the height of my award winning career as a social worker at the VA, I began to experience rather alarming physical symptoms of chronic pain, fatigue, the limp from polio returned; I had difficulty swallowing and breathing and was anxious and depressed. I found my way to Spaulding Rehab's Post Polio Clinic and the diagnosis of a progressive neuromuscular disease was made. I could have easily lost hope. I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair; to adapt my Cape house or move to a ranch. I was told I might need a feeding tube in a few years given that the left side of my esophagus was sluggish and I was aspirating food into my lungs. I was told that if there were any "hope" of stabilizing the symptoms where they were, I would need to quit my career just 3 years shy of when I was eligible to retire and after having worked for 25 years in total as a social worker.

I could have easily given into the diagnosis and followed all of the recommendations from the treatment team.

I knew it was time to leave my career because you can't give from an empty vessel and that was the one recommendation I took to heart. I was blessed with a physical therapist, Allison Lamarre-Poole who did not subscribe to the "if you use it you will lose it" philosophy. She gave me hope that I was not destined to live my life in a wheelchair and experience a rapid decline as I aged. Her hope was infectious as was my own little spark of hope inside. Writing poetry, harnessing the power of my imagination to experience healing of my past and creating a future of health, wholeness and running free fanned the flames of that spark of hope.



I gained momentum in my healing journey after meeting Janine Hightower. She held the hope for both of us as I began working with her as a personal trainer. I just wasn't sure of how far I could go on this healing journey. I took it one step at a time:


One step at a time led to 26.2 miles ending at the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon on April 20, 2009:


After suffering a serious knee injury in December of 2014, I was told to stop running and if I did continue to run to cap my distance at a 5K. I was told to prepare for a total knee replacement in a few years.

Because of the success I experienced with hope and healing knowing the power of the mind/body connection and being open to possibilities, I let Spirit guide me. I was led to a chiropractor, Dr. Ryan Means who believed in the tremendous capacity of the body to heal.

We used chiropractic care, KT taping, a new strength training regimen program and a whole lot of hope to heal my left leg and the residuals of paralytic polio and trauma.

I went on to run the 2016, 2017 and 2018 Bermuda Half Marathons.

During these times of unrest and upheaval and as stories of pain, grief, despair and hopelessness fill the news, may you not only hold onto hope but allow hope to uplift your heart and guide your actions.



Light Prevails

It only takes one spark to penetrate a blanket of darkness and despair
one star shining against the blackest of night
it’s easy to be fooled as the mind’s eye
drawn to the unending expanse of pain

love ignites the spark of hope
a tiny flame flickers,
wavering, unsteady and unsure
can she hold a candle to all that’s gone before

the fire of Spirit suffocated and dimmed
cannot be snuffed out
the flame fanned with strength and courage
extinguishes memories
blazing a new trail
lighting the way for others to follow.


Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com to learn more about my message of healing, hope and possibility as a survivor {now thriver} of paralytic polio and trauma.

My books are available on Amazon.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness, healing, hope and possibility
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment