Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Whether You Think You Can or You Think You Can't....



Those words were spoken to me by Janine Hightower, in home personal trainer in September of 2007. I was beginning to feel a little better after having left my social work career behind me on May 25, 2007 enjoying writing poetry and using the at home exercise program prescribed by my physical therapist, Allison Lamarre Poole.

I was feeling antsy though. Part of that "itch" had to do with not having work as a part of my life. I had worked since I was 14 years old! But there was something else...

From "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953":
Shortly after being discharged from outpatient physical therapy I met Janine Hightower through Herb Simmons. He knew Janine through his participation in the Cardiac Rehab program at Boston Medical Center. I was launching my business New World Greeting Cards, original poetry for every occasion. She was a member of BNI, a professional networking group. As we sat in my living room, she talked about BNI and the benefits of being a member of this networking group. As she talked, I wasn’t focused on growing my business. My mind zeroed in on her sharing with us how she used BNI to promote her in home personal training business.

“You know I’m curious,” I said to Janine. “Do you think you could help me? I was just discharged from Spaulding Rehab.”

I went on to tell her about my journey.

“I don’t know,” she said “but I’d certainly be happy to set up an assessment with you.”

I couldn’t even pass the initial fitness assessment.

“You’re way too young to not be able to get off of the toilet seat without holding on to the sink or to not be able to get off of the couch,” she said to me.

It was a statement of fact without judgment. She spoke the truth about my deconditioned physical state. I signed on to work with her once a week in personal training. I had no idea what or why I was doing this. I did know that if I was going to be in pain, I’d prefer to feel the pain of recovery instead of the pain of decline. Janine held enough faith for both of us that I could come out of my leg brace and have a good quality of life despite the diagnosis and prognosis I received.

Janine’s mantra for our work together was a quote from Henry Ford, “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right!”


Despite the warnings from the Post Polio community of "If you use it you will lose it," there was something literally and metaphorically burning inside of me. As I said, if I were going to experience pain, I'd rather experience pain in the service of healing.

Once a week we worked together and I discovered muscles that I did not know existed in my body. Whenever I experienced doubts, Janine held enough faith for both of us.

After six months, it was time for my re-evaluation and to set new health and fitness goals from the original ones of being able to get off of a low toilet seat or the couch without assistance and to be able to pass the assessment.

At my six-month evaluation in February, I made dramatic improvements in every area of the assessment. I had come out of my leg brace. I knew I was on a healing path.

“Let’s write down your goals for the next six months,” Janine said feeling proud and satisfied with my progress.

“Well I want to feel free in my body. I want to dance. I want to be able to walk outside and feel unencumbered when I take a walk.”

Janine feverishly wrote down my goals, and we worked out a plan. She gathered up her belongings and had her hand on the door knob.

“Wait. I have one more goal.”

Janine stopped and turned around.

“I want to run the Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab Hospital. I know they have a Race for Rehab team and I want to do it next year.”

Did you ever have one of those moments when words fell out of your mouth after rising up from the depths of your soul without going through any thought process?

Janine was non-plussed. I don’t know what kept her from turning tail and getting as far away from me as she could. She came back into my house, set down her things and without missing a beat said, “Well the first thing you are going to need is a pair of running shoes.”

She laid out a cursory training plan and said that we would begin indoors to build up my cardio endurance. As soon as the weather got a little warmer, we’d go outdoors and I would learn how to run.

What had I just done?


I had just changed the course of my life after the VA and began the journey of discovering my new purpose in life; to send a message of healing, hope and possibility and how despite all appearances to the contrary, all things are possible when you believe you can! I have become a spokeswoman for the power of the mind/body connection empowering people to consider options besides what Western Medicine dictates.

I was able to go from just coming out of my leg brace to the finish line of the Boston Marathon and beyond with the help of "an angelic personal trainer," Janine Hightower.



Janine met us on the top of Heartbreak Hill to run with us into Boston.

My cell phone rang. It was Janine checking in with us. As I saw her in the distance standing atop one of the inclines on Heartbreak Hill with her Spaulding Rehab t-shirt and a white long sleeve shirt underneath, I saw an angel who was going to take us to the finish line.

“I’m amazed at how great you guys look,” she said.

“We went out slowly and ran steady so we could finish. But I’m sorry about the pace….”

She cut me off and said, “Did you know that the guy who won last year had to be taken off the course? You need to leave those thoughts and all of your baggage out on the roads. Just look at how great you are doing!”


Here are photos with Janine taken by BU photojournalism student Johannes Hirn:


The air was getting cold and raw as we approached Kenmore Square but the crowds were heating up. We knew the finish line was in sight. When we came up out of the underpass there was Hereford Street. Right on Here-ford Street and left on Boylston Street. I began to sob seeing the lights of the finish line in the distance. I ran down Boylston Street with all of my might.

Janine refused to cross the finish line with us and took her place on the side saying, “This is all yours.”




The celebratory hug as a year and two months of training culminated on April 20, 2009 with that 7 hour and 49 minute journey from Hopkinton to Boston:


When you dream big and aim high, always remember..Whether you think you can or you think you can't - you're right!

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website to learn more about my phenomenal journey from a wheelchair to the finish line the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond!

My books are available on Amazon




















No comments:

Post a Comment