Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Magical Monday Morning Miles



May 19, 2007...My butterflies were out in full force as I had only a few days left of my award winning career as a VA social worker. Six weeks prior I gave my notice that I was leaving my career to follow my newfound passion as a poet and writer and heal my life from the effects of childhood paralytic polio and trauma. I was saying goodbye to my veterans, their families and my colleagues. I had a retirement party on May 17th organized by my Team at the Causeway Street Outpatient Clinic:


Invitations were sent across the campuses and people dropped in to wish me well. The Social Work staff gave me a farewell luncheon at Bertucci's in West Roxbury and showered me with meaningful gifts that I still cherish today.

I sat wearing my toe up leg brace having my cane near by:


and had a pad of yellow lined paper to write down poems that were flowing out of me. Although the first poem I wrote was called, "Running the Race" I would not know the magic that was in running shoes until April of 2008.

May 18, 2020 ... It was a grey drizzly yet warm morning and as I do every Monday morning, I lace up my running shoes to go out for a 5K run. These runs are even more special and sacred during the pandemic. While this time of having a stay at home order has brought much heartache and angst, it has also been a time of overwhelming gratitude and appreciation for the "little things" in life especially being out in nature when no one is around free to run.

We were treated to serenity and solitude and the joy of Mama Goose teaching the baby geese how to feed while the Papa Goose stood guard ready to defend his family at a moment's notice:


I did my fastest time since March 7th which was right around the time the pandemic with a shut down was looming on the horizon.

I was sweaty and felt that rush of endorphins that one gets after a great run.

There IS magic in those running shoes and magic to be experienced all around while on a run.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

My books are available on Amazon





No comments:

Post a Comment