Thursday, May 14, 2020

The Joy is in the Journey



On yesterday's One Minute Thought for the Day, Kristabeth Atwood of Rites of Passage, LLC shared the above quote from the Buddha. She spoke about how it is more important to travel well than to arrive at our destination. I reflected on our current situation given the pandemic and how we all just want to arrive at a "new normal". But it is truly in the journey and how we navigate uncertainty that tests our mettle and forges who we become.

On May 25th of 2007, when I set out on a quest to heal my life taking a leap of faith leaving behind my 20 year award winning career at the VA, I had no idea of where I might arrive on the journey.

I was blessed to discover the sport of running that transformed my life and to be a part of the 1% of the world's population who have run a marathon. The joy was in the journey as I trained for the 2009 Boston Marathon and made incredible friends along the way. The village of runners continues to grow and grow and our fiber of friendship grows stronger with the challenges of the pandemic.

After running Boston, I was told that I might not and probably should not run again but a physical therapist from Australia offered suggestions of what I could do to build up my strength and endurance to return to the roads... but I had to take time off from running.

This wonderful memory "just happened" to pop up on Facebook. It was my come back race in June of 2010. The pictures embody the phrase, the joy is in the journey:


Even though there are times when I feel overwhelmed, anxious, fatigued or sad during these times, I find my way back to joy through a practice of gratitude.



I went to the grocery store today for the first time in two months. Tom had been our hunter/gatherer as I affectionately called him during these past two months. He wanted me to conserve my energy and to not have to contend with wearing a mask for prolonged periods of time given the history of trauma that was getting triggered by having to wear a mask.

Tom has a lot to do for work right now and there were a few other errands he needed to run after work. I felt a feeling deep in my soul that it was time for me to "woman up" or "mask up" and get the groceries. Ruth Anne agreed to go with me.

I didn't know what we would or wouldn't find but I set the intention that I would find everything that we need.

It was definitely a new and somewhat disorienting experience to not be able to go up and down the aisles as we used to do when grocery shopping or easily return to an aisle if we forgot something, but armed with an attitude it is what it is for now, we were able to get our provisions. I experienced joy in being able to procure many of our favorite brands that had been sold out in recent weeks. We saw a lot of merchandise being brought in to stock the shelves while we were there.

I felt tired after the experience but so proud of myself that I was able to move beyond the traumatic events that had been triggered by the pandemic and requirements that go along with it.

My heart overflowed with gratitude that in this time when so many experience food scarcity, we experience abundance. We are sure to share our abundance to help others in need through donations or service. I felt so grateful that we are abundant with Tom's job and our income from social security.

I acknowledged how and why I was feeling a drop in my energy and then looked around for something to boost my mood and energy besides chocolate that is!

There were harbingers of hope and reminders of the Divine at work right in our very own yard.

There was a bush that looked like it was dying last winter. We know not to cut anything down in winter for you never know what might return in Spring. And during the winter this "stick" seemed to be growing out of the ground. We let them be.

What a surprise to see pink flowers on the bush and green leaves growing on the "stick":


I took pause to appreciate our raised bed garden and tomato plant ...


and felt in awe of the presence of Divine all around.

It's easy to lose hope and faith during these times when we are being bombarded with divisiveness, rancor, fear and conflicting information about the pandemic. It's easy to experience despair wondering when will we ever arrive on the other side of these conditions that have shaken all of us to our very core. It's easy to wonder what summer will be like with all the traditional events being cancelled and uncertain plans for possible beach closures.

But I love finding things to be grateful for and finding the joy in the journey surrendering the external conditions and what I don't have control over to the Divine. Time and again my Higher Power that is all around me and within me has seen me through some of the darkest most uncertain times in my life and led me to a place of joy. During this time I am being called to experience the joy in simple pleasures and find gratitude and contentment in the gift of each present moment.

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
Mary

Be sure to visit my website to learn more about my journey of transformation from a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond.

My books are available on Amazon











No comments:

Post a Comment