Monday, May 25, 2020

Thirteen Years Later: Sail Away From Safe Harbor



May 25, 2007 -- I began my tenure on December 5, 1988. I was hired as the Visual Impairment Services Team Coordinator. I received a Certificate of Appreciation from the Blinded Veterans Association after I was reassigned to give my job to a member of the all male management team despite my outstanding performance in that role. I contemplated leaving the VA but I knew in my heart I belonged serving those who served until it was time for me to heal my life from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. It was a beautiful summer's day kicking off Memorial Day Weekend in Boston. Instead of heading into Boston as I had done for the past almost 20 years, I drove to the Jamaica Plain VA Campus. I parked in a handicapped space grabbing my cane, wearing my toe up leg brace as I carried a piece of paper that each person had to initial to ensure a proper exit from the VA. I saw many familiar faces as I walked the halls for the last time as an employee. There were hugs, tears and joy that I was going to take care of myself.

After the final stop at personnel, I turned in my ID badge, took a deep breath, and headed out into the sunshine. I sat in my yard clutching my manuscript for "New World Greeting Cards: Inspirational Poetry and Musings for a New World" and editing it. I was preparing it for publication with PublishAmerica. I was in awe of the synchronicity that was happening in my life as I learned about the world of getting a book published and connecting with people who were inspired by my journey.

Many thought I was crazy to leave the security of my career and salary to follow my bliss as a poet author and and to heal my life. Two quotes that stayed with me during those initial days and weeks of retirement were:


and



I was able to transform and transcend my past during these past 13 years.

I have had adventures through the sport of running and made friends that I probably would not have met had I not found the courage to take that leap of faith.

I carry many fond memories of my veterans and their families in my heart and am blessed to be in contact with some of them through social media. I've reconnected with some of my colleagues who continue to serve those who serve and those who have retired after me.

Thirteen years ago I found the courage and strength to sail away from safe harbor with the unconditional love and support from my family.

I have been blessed to explore different life after the VA iterations, dream about running the Boston Marathon and crossing the finish line on April 20, 2009 and discover who I am and who I was always meant to be. I've been blessed to share my journey in books, magazines, in radio interviews and as a motivational speaker. I've been able to touch, bless and help people heal their lives in new ways after leaving my social work career.



Sail on and dream on dear friends!

Take a risk and find yourself land in the middle of the most wondrous adventures.

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

My books are available on Amazon to uplift and inspire you.

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment